Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Aug 18/19, 2012 - Big Bear Bass and the Crappie-Slay at the Miss Liberty

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Aug 18/19, 2012 - Big Bear Bass and the Crappie-Slay at the Miss Liberty

First two pix from below are from August 12 - nothing special, but what the heck.

Got up super early Saturday Aug 18 and on the water launching from B's Backyard BBQ by 5:30am. Totally calm water most of the morning through 10am when I stopped.

Started by working a wacky-rigged senko along Pine Knot Landing's rock jetty on the side that faces the middle of the lake. First couple of casts and landed a beautiful 3lb LMB!!!! Finally I thought I had found where the larger kids were playing. Camera failed so no pic of that one But , in a couple more casts I picked up a 3lb 8oz momma (pic below)! Took the risk of taking my Galaxy Nexus out of its protective waterproof, floating case for this one as I HAD to get a picture. Worse case I was gambling for a $350 photo-op as that damn lake has taken more than one phone from me.

I thought I was off to the races with big-un's, but only picked up smaller LMBs until about 8:30 - lost count - easily 7 ot 8 more but generall young ones. The bite seemed to turn off quickly - tried working deeper and under docs, but no luck.

Lots of carp-schools roaming the top water - tried a new hair-rig with corn nuggets hooked to a bobber on my fly rod. Had some takers but they grabbed the corn without taking the hook. Have to rework that rig.

After not getting any more bites for a while, I switched to a wooly bugger on the fly rod and a 4" plastic "Bold Bluegil" on the bass rod working double-handed for crappie. Few around the docs, but when I got to the Miss Liberty, it was on!!! Hundreds of crappie swarming around the big fake-paddle-wheeler - I was getting double-hookups with the little buggers all the time. Got way more than 2 dozen in an hour or so and picked up a couple small LMBs in the process.

Worked the docs and rocks on my way back to where I launched but only picked up a few more crappie.

Sunday was generally a repeat, but no big bass. Probably 10 or so young LMBs, all were 1lbish. Picked up some on a nice bass-fly as well. Bite turned-off around 8:30, switched to different lures, deeper, etc. but no luck. Switched-it-up to working around the Miss Liberty again, but this time with a bigger bass lure and a bass fly hoping for something bigger than crappie. Lots of hits, but few takers. Finally picked up a fairly young small mouth bass (pic) and even got a crappie on the big bass lure - couldn't believe that one - I don't think it could have fit all the way in its mouth, but it was a taker!!! Switched back to the small stuff for more fun/action. Picked up dozens of crappie and got a small bluegil along the way (pic). That gill was a wicked fighter on the fly for such a small fish.

Overall an active weekend, just not many bigger fish. Post-up if you have any thoughts on where the big bass are at in BBL these days. Next time I'm up I may try working private docs in Metcalfe Bay and Boulder Bay.

Cheers,

Eric

Last edited by etaggart; 08-22-2012 at 06:08 PM.