Hey guys, I want to start fishing with my two sons (7 and 10). We're new at this. I've been doing some research on what gear to buy and wanted to ask for some help. We'll be fishing in local lakes in Los Angeles, including Kenneth Hahn SRA. Later this Summer we'll go hit up the bigger lakes in the mountains. I figure we'll be fishing cat and pan fish at Kenneth Hahn. later in the summer I suppose it will be Bass and trout at the bigger lakes, at least that's what I assume.

So that's what we're after. What suggestions for rods and reels do you have? We're on a budget so nothing too fancy. From my research I was thinking a spinning reel with a medium-light power fast action rod for myself? Maybe a couple small spin-cast reels for my boys? I had a couple Zebcos as a kid and have fond memories of those growing up, not sure if that's the same thing.

What kid of tackle should I buy for us to use for lake fishing in southern california during the summer? Should we do a mix of live bait and lures?

All suggestions are welcome, thanks for taking the time to help me out. :)