Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Local 3/1/11 Rockfish Opener

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Local 3/1/11 Rockfish Opener

Dennis and I did the rockfish opener. We had a tough choice to either go up the coast, out to the banks or just stay local. We opted to just stay local just in case I had to go home because of some pressing issues at work. We took the short 16 minute boat ride to our rockpile and pretty much it was just a one stop shop. We had the vermillions pushing 8lbs. Should have not even used strip bait because they bit the artificial jigs just fine. Left the ramp at 6:30, limited out 8-ish. Pictures of local taco meat:

First drop yield 3 rojos on some squid strips for Dennis and I.

There were some nice grade red snappers.

We put on some plain red grubs which mimics the shrimp they usually diet on and they were all over it.

Here I am with one of the average size vermillion we were encountering.

Here is Dennis with another red snapper.

It was pretty much WFO, so we busted out the bass gear and the artificial jigs.

Even though I think the Shimano Lucanus jig is nonsense, it worked today.

Dennis's phone camera shot of the bounty after a few drifts.

The feedback sports bike scale, which has a +/- 0.006 error said our largest vermillion weighs in at 8lbs 3oz.

Final drift, the stinky bocaccio found us. They always ruin the party.

We cleaned the fish and it was barely 9am. Too early to go home so I went inshore to a local shallow water rockpile and put the hurt on the rubberlips.

I had a OK time. Dennis is the worst deckhand ever. See you all next time.
    Last edited by marzocchi; 03-02-2011 at 05:35 AM.