Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bend Over

I was there friday and confirmed, starting 10/1, you will have to pay $3 if you want to be tagged on your way out. He said you will pay in the morning on your way in and get a voucher or something.

We are heading toward winter and some of the best fishing is pre-front or just when it starts to rain. If you aren't tagged you won't be getting in if it starts to rain.

I fish DVL about twice a month. With gas from SD and entry fee's it costs me about $60.00 to fish. The extra $3.00 is going to kill me, but it's BS. In the first place, I don't believe the lake is free from mussels.
    Here's my question. If I don't get tagged, how do I make sure my 100 hp yamaha is dry. I keep it down when at home, but if I raise it after a few days and lower it again, I still get a few drops. It would make it very difficult to fish if I want to go on back to back days. I have an air compressor at home if there is a trick to blowing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by exfactor View Post
    If california would get off their ***, and install CF checklist on their computers, this would all be moot. they have it for camping, for our driver licenses, boats, trailers, seems to me they probably could implement a "where did he fish last" CF button on the main frame. But that would be using your brain, something seriously lacking in beaucracy here. Still say privatization is gonna find a way to stick it to us
    Let's just say between state and private corporation, there's no way in hell they will share info. It's like Church and State. It takes an act of God to get the cooperation needed between the two parties. By the way, even if California State comes up with the tracking system online, it means it will be another 10 years of charging heavy nominal yearly fees for boat owners before such a system development. Trust me. I know about state tracking system designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Grover View Post
    has to be about paying the employees overtime to stay and tag all the boats at the end of the day. MWD could care less, this is the operators of the lake, [private firm, not MWD], trying to cover costs, which go up every year. If this is the case, I would just rather pay at the Kiosk in the morning. It is expensive to run a business in California with workers comp, insurance, employee taxes ect..... Here is the really crummy part about this fee is that its still not going to get us into the lake at a normal early entry time. Went to Skinner last week, lake open at 6, [pretty dark still]. I would pay an extra $5.00 if they had Lake Perris hours. Has too be plenty of unemployed or retired folks in that area to have a couple of work shifts a day where they can have normal operating hours. Rick G.
    There are private operators on the lake, but the MWD owns the lake, maintain it, and controls all the operations on the lake, including regulations that cross between federal, state, and local jurisdictions. MWD makes so much money that it boggles your mind. I have plenty of insiders' scoops. As for the "private operators' fees", it's used to provide necessities for anglers' activities. Rick G has a good insight in the situation. MWD covers its operation cost with the water storage. Any additional activity costs will be sustained by the "stakeholders". This include the MWD, County of Riverside, NRDC, CA WCB, very little from DFG, and US EPA general fund for state's water and environmental sustainability. By the way, the cost for the boat ramp repair and maintenance is contributed from 1/2 of the fees collected. Any repair and modification to the boat ramp is pretty substantial due to the cost associating to the permitting since it's next to the water of the US. Since there are a lot of bad apples of the anglers out there screwing up for the stakeholders, it's inevitable that the costs go up somewhere. Since boats are the primary occupying bodies in the lake, the fees go directly toward boat owners. If there were a larger opportunity for both shoreliners and boater to take advantage of the lake, the fees wouldn't have been noticed as an impact otherwise. Just my shiny penny tossed into the mix.

The other bad problem is if you pay for the tag, but then decide to fish somewhere else, it's $3 lost. That sucks, too.

God you guys. They can barely cover the marina store(if you can call it that, 2 people), the one person front kiosk, and boat rentals(three guys) with the 20 employees that show up at 4:30 a.m. even though the lake doesn't open until 6:30 am. How about that to stop the overtime? What the hell do they do for 2 hours before the lake opens? How about adding some part-timers that come in at noon and relieve the morning shift? How about opening the lake earlier like every other lake in California? How about the fact they don't care? I think everyone but me should start a boycott on the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianGuy View Post
    There are private operators on the lake, but the MWD owns the lake, maintain it, and controls all the operations on the lake, including regulations that cross between federal, state, and local jurisdictions. MWD makes so much money that it boggles your mind. I have plenty of insiders' scoops. As for the "private operators' fees", it's used to provide necessities for anglers' activities. Rick G has a good insight in the situation. MWD covers its operation cost with the water storage. Any additional activity costs will be sustained by the "stakeholders". This include the MWD, County of Riverside, NRDC, CA WCB, very little from DFG, and US EPA general fund for state's water and environmental sustainability. By the way, the cost for the boat ramp repair and maintenance is contributed from 1/2 of the fees collected. Any repair and modification to the boat ramp is pretty substantial due to the cost associating to the permitting since it's next to the water of the US. Since there are a lot of bad apples of the anglers out there screwing up for the stakeholders, it's inevitable that the costs go up somewhere. Since boats are the primary occupying bodies in the lake, the fees go directly toward boat owners. If there were a larger opportunity for both shoreliners and boater to take advantage of the lake, the fees wouldn't have been noticed as an impact otherwise. Just my shiny penny tossed into the mix.
    I'm not sure what your point is on this one sorry to say, maybe I'm just dense.

There was supposed to be a larger opportunity for shore use and more recreational facilities that would have offset the operational costs, but everybody knows DVL was a bait and switch from the get go, most that was promised never was delivered, they just wanted the lakes approval once they got it from the voters that was it. They did deliver a great fishery but that was pretty much a one time cost with the exception of supplemental plants outside of the DFG plants but I'm sure those are coming out of operational revenue also. Just look at the temporary buildings/trailers they are using, I think they figured once they found out a way to eliminate fishing/boating they could just tow them away!

If the infrastructure would have been sufficient in the beginning there would have not been a need for a ramp extension so quick after the initial build out, low water years are the norm, highs and lows, so ramp should have been built to accomidate this unpredictability.

$7.00 entrance fee then $3.00 fishing fee, ok now if there were other activities at the lake I could see the need for a split fee but who pays 7 bucks to go into DVL just for a visit?

Seal, you're not dense, nor are you uneducated on your reasoning. You're pretty much right about the fees are getting to be ridiculous, but at the same time, think about the other smaller water bodies within the cities that charge $8 for entrance, and $4 to fish. The fees are merely funding to clean up after the messes left by the visitors, which includes manpower to clean (trash, toilets, and picnic areas), enforce (security), and maintain the recreation, set forth by MWD based on drinking water standards. $3 fee for a "Let me pass now" stamp got me doing the HUH?! at first glance. But that fee may be an offset for something that we may not be able to see upfront until someone on the inside gives us an insider scoop. They may just flat out say, hey, fee increase to $8 for entry, and $5 for fishing. Easier to swallow. $3 for a specialize stamp? Better be a freaking hologram spectacle. I rather take that entrance fee and invest in something more glorious, like a crank bait that I can use at Big Bear, Perris, Silverwood or smaller lakes that I don't have to pay to fish, or with better family activities.

Words like "private operators' fees” “provide necessities for anglers' activities”, and "stakeholders” make my blood boil. We can drill down to where, what, and why our taxes, fees, and other costs go towards whatever or whoever for years and still not get to the real answer.

Sean, you spelled it out perfectly this was an obvious scheme and/or poor management from the onset. I’ve read articles about the reasons behind why the ramp fell short of the expected development, not to mention extra planned proposals, and the whole deal of getting this lake passed through the voters of Hemet and so have others.

By my inside info fees are, $7 entrance, $12 boat launch, and $3 fishing access permit. Add on another $3 for the tag and by my calculator that’s $25 for a day at the JEWEL. The Annual Pass went from $225 to $450. I paid $450 for my annual pass and they still want another $6 per day when I hit the lake. So what figures are you using? I’ll take the $13 fee if you put it in writing.

So, please don’t use the political talk when they feed us spam and swear to us that they paid filet mignon prices.
    Last edited by ShellBack USNRET; 09-26-2011 at 09:02 PM.

don't worry. I'm not a political mole or the MWD employees..although, I wish I am. Big bucks job, and nearly impossible to get in. I'm with you on the straight spelling out of the fees. Rather than running around with the banters about new products for park's services, just say it straight out, fees are increased. Pay to use, or just stay away. By the way, the fishing license may, and the key word is may, increase another $25 down the pipeline from all the crazy budget discussion up in Sacramento. So, by next year, we may be spending $100 for our fishing licenses, with stamps and all.

Who are we kidding; we can't make our voices heard by going through the inspections. All they have to do is tighten up on the inspections, fail you when you know the last lake fished was DVL and that will really make your day.

No working smarter not harder is the answer to this problem. They’re treating us like we don't have a voice, take it or leave it, but we do have a voice!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast