Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 1st time party boating!

Default 1st time party boating!

Hey all! Just got back from the middle east and im goin back to my hometown (Orange County) to visit my family. While down there im about to go on my 1st party boat with my older brothers. Most likely a 1/2 day or twilight but don't know which landing im about to choose. Id like to have your opinions for the gear im about to put in my rucksack. Been doin some recon on this site but id like to have current opinions on stuff ya know?

I've also noticed pretty much bass n rockfish are being caught with some barries n bonito.

Taking a 15-20 lb spinning setup. Should I go with conventional? (I have no experience with conventional reels. but I can always practice before showtime) Should I go heavier?
    2oz, 3oz, 4oz weights.
    Hooks are gonna be 1/0 - 3/0
    probably some swimbaits, spoons n stuff.

Also hows the rental gear on these landings? Should I put in the effort to buy my own gear?

Your help/inputs is/are appreciated.

if you are not experenciend with the conv. gear id stick with your 15 lb spinning gear and a size 4 or 6 hook its a good rig for bass bonita barracuda have not been out on the ocean in a while but my pops works on a boat and he been telling me the anchovie been better than sardines so light should work beeter

First, A big thanks!!! (Avatar & pic says Military?)...
    Welcome Home!!!

You should be OK with fresh quality15#, on a spinner, use what your comfy with..
    Rental rods are OK too (saves lugging a rig around in transit)..
    Most 1/2 & Twilight's are Sand bass fishing, with some Cuda & Bonita in the mix...

#1 & 1/0 hooks should do it fine, weights (sliding eggs & torpedo's for Dropper loop) 1 to 2 oz on the Eggs & 2 & 4 oz on the Torpedos, for the shallow fishing...
    15# will also handle some light irons and Krocks etc...

Booyaaa !!!

Last edited by Nessie Hunter; 08-10-2009 at 07:03 AM.

Long Beach Sportfishing has some great specials going on right now. Most of the boats have a buy two get one free special.

You're spinner should be fine for bass, might not be so good for the cudas though.

LBSF has great rental gear. Their staff has always been helpful. Give them a call and they'll give you a better idea on what is being targetting and what tackle is needed.

http://longbeachsportfishing.com/
    555 Pico Ave; Long Beach, CA 90802
    562-432-8993
    Fish Count: 562-437-5486

I would say rent your first time...If you like it, and plan on going out a lot more...then buy some gear.

Thanks all! Much appreciated, will post a report once its all n done with!

Thank you for your service. bring your spinning combo, but please re-string, anything from 8 to 15 lb would be fine for this time of year. And, go ahead and rent a second set up, its cheap and its always good to have a back up. Good luck.

Default Thanks!!!!!

Not muych help as far as fishing goes BUT, you guys make it safe for me to walk down the street and want you to know I appriciate it!!!!!! May you catch all the fish you dream of!!!!!! Thanks again!