Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Motors On Pontoons

Default Trolling Motors On Pontoons

For all you tooners with trolling motors, is there a difference between having the motor in the front of the toon instead of the back? Just curious because I've seen some with them on the front, while most have them mounted on the back. I'm still waiting for some ends.

Default Re: Trolling Motors On Pontoons

I've never tried mine in front SoCal, mainly because rear deck is allready set up for a battery and motor and I would have to extend the motor wires to reach the battery. It would probably work pretty good though. Did you get a toon or what. The suspence is killing me man.

Quote Originally Posted by Socal Bassman
    For all you tooners with trolling motors, is there a difference between having the motor in the front of the toon instead of the back? Just curious because I've seen some with them on the front, while most have them mounted on the back. I'm still waiting for some ends.
    Nope no toon yet, dawg. :( All I can say is it's in the works. Just have to wait for a check to come in.

With the motor in front youll be pulling and you wont start spinning, so it be easier to fish and troll at the same time, handle wind better. With the motor in the back the toon tends to start turning which means you have to constantly steer. The overall weight would be more evened out with the motor in front and battery in back but no leg room, also better in the wind. Thats my 2 cents

Thanks for the info. I figured the weight distribution part would be one advantage. But wouldn't the head of the motor be facing the wrong way? I mean when the motor is in the back, "forward" is forward. Then if it's in the front, then "forward" is actually reverse. Is that right? If so, then would you have to turn the head around so it will be going the right way? A foot controlled one would be neat, but the mounts on those things are too big to mount on any standing deck. Not to mention that they're pricey.

Haha your getting a little to fancy with the foot controller idea now lol you can flip the handle a 180 degrees.

A foot control trolling motor on a pontoon would be off the hook! 8)
    I think your right about the motor being in front. Better drag steering maybe. The toon might follow the motor and track better.

Yeah better drag steering, thats the word Im looking for. lol check out this toon with a motor in the front. haha

Man, Eye tew you whut! Ifn' I'da seen dat dere contraption 'for I'd baught my 'toon, I'da built me one'a dem! Yes sur! :lol:

Whatever does the trick! He's smarter than us and put it on the front :lol:

Yep, at air isa gooder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast