Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still thinking..

Default Still thinking..

Maybe a little introduction is in order;
    My names erick, im new to this site[first post actually]
    anyway, i've been into fishing since one of my old friends took me with his dad back in the winter of 05 to Irvine lake freshly stocked
    After i hooked my first fish and felt the fight i was addicted.

Not too long ago i was fishing from shore at not the best lake. its a huge lake with a huge island in the middle and me and a buddy kept aggreing how awesome it would be if we could creep up on that island and fish the edge of that so many large mouth bass are bound to be hanging out their inbetween all those rotting trees. and i saw a tuber acouple months ago and thought that was an ingenius idea.
    little did i know how popular tubing was so i wasn't so alone..

I'm only seventeen unemployed and increadibly desperate for a good belly boat

i don't have the funds yet and i've been reading up on floats for acuople weeks now
    so i have a basic idea of all the FAQ's and common sense and what to do scenarios.

i'm not too concerned about the specific float i want but i was thinking just keeep on checking that e[bay] when i have the funds and hopefully get a good deal on one of those caddi's they dont make anymore or if i could a super fat.

i was thinking about it and i could probably go maybe 180 for a float since i know i can't get bored of it its way too much fun for me.

the waders and everything else i'll worry about once i have the float i want and begin stocking it up as i go along.

just on here to ask whats the REAL DEAL on setting up your float

i know what i CAN put on but what do i really need?
    im not a fan of keeping what i catch unless its a really good size so a stringer and such would be easy to carry just wanted to know if a livewell was really that big a deal?

and what about clothing? neoprene i hear doesn't let you breathe? i dont know what the deal with that is all i know is i can get a footless pair for about 50.
    i got the fins

what else would i really need to have some fun?

any info/post/reply would be appreciated

Thanks!!
    -Ediboy 8)

Default Re: Still thinking..

All you need is a Tube and fins! Pole holders come in handy too, as will waders, Surely.
    You might also want to look into a nice Plano 4600 two tier storage box. Hold gobs of tackle without the hooks getting mixed up, and should fit just about any floaty out there.

Grab a tube man! That spot near the island is calling your name! :wink:

I might be selling off my Caddis Nevada here soon to help pay for the spiffy FC4 LCS Delux I've been eyeballing.. But I gotta give VG two weeks warning before I Sell it :lol:

This is the checklist I go through the night before I go out. These are the bare necessities for me:
    1. Float Tube
    2. Waders (for the colder months)
    3. Fins
    4. Booties
    5. Life Vest
    6. Fishing License (which is usually clipped onto my vest)
    7. Whistle

Oh yeah,
    my bad! Forgot the life vest and the whistle! Don't leave shore without them!
    I haven't had to use my whistle yet, but I hope I don't ever have to.

Also, apply spray on sunblock to your arms and neck well before you jump in (spray on so you don't get it on your hands!) , and wear a hat! Don't apply the sunblock in the water or the fish will stay away from you all day.

Erick......Welcome to the wonderful world of tubin!!!!!!

I am going to keep it real short and to the point....you asked what you really need to tube

1) Coast Gaurd approved life jacket
    2) Small signal air horn or whistle
    3) Landing net

That is about it on the stuff required to tube.....besides the tube,waders and fins!!!!! :lol:

sonarbp

I am 17 too. Luckily, I have a cool dad, and he bought me my tube. I got my Caddis Nevada for 79 bucks at Sport Chalet. I went and used it with my swimming trunks and no flippers the first time, and had a little fun going along the shorelines. But, I then bought some scuba fins for 20 bucks, and found a pair of used waders for 25. Let me tell you, its a night and day difference with the waders and flippers. Now I can actually move, and I won't get wet! So for around 125 bucks I got myself a good tube combo. The nevada is a good tube so far. I can't compare it to other tubes since this is my first one. I just wish I sat higher, and it had more storage. Other than that, its stable, stays inflated, and is light. You and your buddies will have a blast if both of you get one. I wish I had a fishing buddy besides my dad, lol. Good luck! And if you have any more questions, don't be afraid to ask! :banana: And oh yeah , I wear a lifejacket. Didnt have to buy one, I use my wakeboarding jacket.

well im sure this is a newbish question but, is their anything in the water that can bite me? i mean my legs not my fingers.

and about the waders, are they skin tight? cause i was going to get some footless waders and then get some thin boots later on but wount the water still leak in and go up my leg and eventually fill up with water?
    well its november aready decembers around the corner so the waters going to be pretty chilly

and are lifevest needed to go out? like they wount let you be tubing without one?

i wonder where i can get a cheap used one for 5-10 bucks :explode:

i got my net so im set with that
    i can get an airhorn for acouple dollars..
    and frog, it doesn't say where you're from but i don't have any fishing buddies either at the moment
    i don't know maybe something can be setup and we can hit a lake together or somethin

still gettting really into the whole thing, only been fishing about a dozen times so no real experiance

Quote Originally Posted by ediboy
    well im sure this is a newbish question but, is their anything in the water that can bite me? i mean my legs not my fingers.

and about the waders, are they skin tight? cause i was going to get some footless waders and then get some thin boots later on but wount the water still leak in and go up my leg and eventually fill up with water?
    well its november aready decembers around the corner so the waters going to be pretty chilly

and are lifevest needed to go out? like they wount let you be tubing without one?

and frog, it doesn't say where you're from but i don't have any fishing buddies either at the moment
    i don't know maybe something can be setup and we can hit a lake together or somethin

still gettting really into the whole thing, only been fishing about a dozen times so no real experiance
    For your first question......there are some things that can bite you but odds are you will be fine. I tube mostly salt water and never have had a problem with anything trying to bite me.

Your second question about the waders.....I think you are talking about a wet suit and yes you can tube in a wet suit but you will not stay dry. Bass pro has some nice neoprene waders and some lower end breathable waders for about $50 buck.....these will keep you nice and dry.

As for the life vest.....you are required to have one within reach while tubin so I went to walmart and got one for $5.00 and attached it to my tube with a carabean.

I don't know your location ediboy but I have an extra tube....kinda older but still catches fish that I have taken other FNN members out and let use fishing Newport Bay. My main tube is being replaced but when I get it back I am willing to show you what you need to know about tubin. I even have a few extra sets of fins and life vest plus an extra set of waders size medium you can use.

sonarbp

hey sonar thanks for all the help its really appreciated.

i live about 20 miles northeast of los angeles.

well i don't know what they are im assuming their waders since thats what it says
    these are the ones i was gonna get once i got the funds

i've only fished freshwater i've never even put a hook in salt water.

Quote Originally Posted by ediboy

Not that I am aware of. I was super scared at first too. The first time I went out when I had no waders, I rubbed against a tree in the water and I spooked myself lol. But, you want to get chest high waders. So, you wont have to worry about getting filled up with water. I don't know if the lifevest is a state requirement, but I know on my tube it says you have to wear one. And I live in Antioch, California. If you live in Nor Cal, I am down. I have been into fishing for a while, but I got seriously in it about 2 years ago. Used to think it was a waste spending 20 bucks on a reel when you can find a combo for that much, but now I am looking at spending 250 for one, lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast