Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Will Large Swivel Sizes Deter Strikes?

Default Will Large Swivel Sizes Deter Strikes?

After 6 Months I've Found If The Fish Are Hungry Using a Tiny Swivel or a Swivel Longer Than The Jig Won't Matter!

When i go shore jigging i tie my mainline directly to the swivel. Advantages are the line is less likely for the fish's teeth to cut if the line is further away from the swivel. Disadvantage? My friends say it'll spook the fish. Ok, so i purposely put this to the test. Almost 100% of the time i caught more fish than my regular partners using large long ball bearing swivels with welded rings than my friends who used smaller "paper clip" style of swivels like from Tactical.

I really urked one of my buddies by catching & releasing 4 decent Papi'o Jacks & 2 Leatherback Scads L'ai last month using a small 15g jig that was way shorter than the monster sized swivel i was using with it. He lost 2 Tactical clips with his weighted float & fly on a small barracuda & a floating branch. For respect (and my well being & safety) i won't mention names. Worse for him mine was an all Okuma rig and his was a Shimano. Ok, just a little. Bwahaha:) All done.

I used either a 9'9" GSP Med with a Cedros 4K with 8lb HT mono or a 10'6" SST ML with a ITX 3K spooled with 8lb Eminent braid.

https://youtu.be/kPUx1iFMbO0
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cover-Will Large Swivels.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	54180