Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Pier Casting a Jigging Reel? Really?

Default Pier Casting a Jigging Reel? Really?

Spooled Line On My New Dedicated Jigging Reel & Pier Casted It!

Today i was familiarizing myself with my new jigging reel. Even though i have dedicated casting reels i still wanted to see how the Gomexus SX450 felt in the field. I'm glad i did this because i have a better understanding of my first dedicated jigger. I'd like to thank Vernon of Gomexus USA for sending me this unit to review in Hawaii.

This jigging reel is like a lever drag reel. The gears fully disengage in the neutral position. This allowed me to tap into this feature & turn my dedicated jigging reel into a typical lever drag reel. Of course this was new to me. Took me 1min & 2 tries to get it correct. Just place the drag arm to neutral. Go back towards you by 1 click using a 3oz bank lead. Bingo. On this SX450 model you can now cast it 30-50yd. So i went 2 clicks back using a 4oz. Still no bird nesting but now i'm casting much farther. Since Monkey Island was across from me with the shallow sand bar embankment that was actually too much.

Will try it again using a 5oz. I think that should be good enough 2 clicks back from Neutral for 60-80yd casting distance with no bird nesting. These smaller lever drag style reels can cast far. But some purists out there will say you can't do that with a dedicated jigging reel. But too late. I've already opened the door by proving this can be done. A local reel repair service has messaged me saying this was always possible but nobody has ever tried it. So why did I? Simple, to see what this reel is capable of. There's a decent amount of braid line to a mono top-shot. Thanks to Gomexus USA & Shisa Reel Service of Hawaii!

https://youtu.be/SVy9CG2wn-A
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pier Casting-Pic.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	54156