Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Back 2 Back Jacks! During my Rod Review!

Default Back 2 Back Jacks! During my Rod Review!

Reviewed My New Mustad Rodworks 10'6" Hybrid Spinning Rod!

I was sent a beautiful longer rod from Mustad's National Sales Director Matt Swainbabk to review for the USA. I already had 2 of the 9'9" Hybrids so this longer version proved to be quite unique. I added a LineDancer size large to it. Never had to use a Large before, always Small or Medium. Chose a Cedros 4K Spinner from Okuma spooled with 15lb monofilament line from Soft Steel. Finally i used a Mustad 30g Tracershot Jig attacked to a Mustad Ball Bearing Swivel 1/30 W/W Rings. Simple set-up.

My Review of This 10'6" Hybrid by Mustad Rodworks-
    10'6", medium fast, 8-17lb, 3/8-1oz.

1) With the reel chosen my distance was excellent. I used a 30g jig which is 1.06oz. This rod can handle more so i went up to 40oz. I'd say it's probably a safe range to use from my observations based on the rod's visible load.
    2) The smaller guides have very small rings. I'd say 20lb mono is no issue. Anything over 30lb mono might create to much friction. I suggest if you need heavier line go braid.
    3) The rod blank thickness was definately noticeable. So was the weight. Because of it's length it was neccessary. I'm used to the 2 much lighter 9'9" rod models. The thinner 9'9" rods are way more sensitive & spin casting jigs i'm extremely accurate w/decent distance. But on this model i'm easily hitting +80yds using a bare bones 30g Tracershot Jig.
    4) This rod lacks the accuracy of the next smaller 9'9" rods. It's still acceptable but that fact was immediately noticeable. I can hit what i want using both my 9'9" rods but i can't be that accurate with this longer/heavier rod. But i can still be within the area i want.
    5) It would make an excellent rod for spin casting 3/4-1oz lures or tossing baited lines. A 3K reel would be to small (unless it's a Penn) but the 4K was perfect. A 5K would work but again that weight you would feel.

https://youtu.be/aifpIefvZOg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baxk2Back Jacks!.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	54144