Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Want to Kayak Diamond Valley Lake, what should I know?

Default Want to Kayak Diamond Valley Lake, what should I know?

Hey guys, I grew up fishing and have been on family owned boats here and there since I was a kid but have never owned my own. I recently got a bonus and would like to buy a kayak to take my own son or just go out by myself every so often but have a few questions regarding DVL specifically to better guage what type of kayak to buy. If I head out there with a Kayak, what would I need to get it into the water? Can I park next to the water and offload it from my SUV's roof rack or do I need to wheel it in like a regular boat? Or would I need to park far away and haul 100lb of equipment by myself from the parking lot to the water? I can lift more than friends and family that go to the gym but I hate having to haul stuff lol

Are there any recommendations for Kayak's that are peddle kayak's that allow for fish storage and allow for 1 other passenger? I will mostly be out by myself but would love to take my son or daughter out with me every so often. I've read of recommendations for NuCanoe but they have a pic of what looks like a whole family barely able to sit on one of them lol

I know nothing about Kayaking at DVL. So hopefully others will give you the information you are asking for. However, I have a general knowledge of most lakes. The greatest Kayaking lake by far for the most convenient and most productive lake for Kayaking is lake Hodges. By coincidence I was there yesterday and fishing was OUTSTANDING! There the Kayakers are King! You might want to consider that lake is where to put your efforts!

check out what hobbie offers for different model fishing kayaks

imo the best products out there

Since there it is a no water contact lake you have to have a sit in kayak. Sit on top kayaks seem to be way more popular especially if you go to the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
    Since there it is a no water contact lake you have to have a sit in kayak. Sit on top kayaks seem to be way more popular especially if you go to the ocean.
    Darn it, yeah that's the type I wanted to get actually since I wanted to take my son with me and he's only 8.

Yep, Metropolitan Water District lakes (Skinner & Diamond Valley) only allow sit inside kayaks. I don't think there are any sit inside kayaks that have peddle drives. By far, sit on top kayaks are the most popular for fishing. They are much more suited to modifications for fishing (peddle drives, trolling motors, standing decks, fish finders, rod holders, etc). Maybe a good choice if you really are intent on fishing the MWD lakes would be a hybred kayak. They are sit insides that are more suitable for mounting a lot of the accessaries kayak fishermen like.