Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Lake Wohlford up date (wide open trout fishing)

Default Lake Wohlford up date (wide open trout fishing)

Sometimes in this life, it pay's to be an arrogant arse! (being humble is for the birds) Some of our best Generals in WW2, were the biggest arses around but they led us to victory! I fish best, when I'm the biggest arse in town! So when I listen to other's report on a lake that is "MY LAKE." I'm just asking for trouble. About a month ago, after the Monster catfish bite finally died down at Irvine lake. We went to lake Wohlford for the Heck of it, because we hadn't gone there in quite awhile because of all the rain. (rain muds out the lake, so it's basically unfishable for trout) We got what seemed was reliable reports from the lake and it was seemly poor trout fishing. (so we went their trying other stuff, instead of our bread and butter fishing) Before we went back to our drifting method, we only managed to catch one 5 pound trout trolling. We had no hopes of catching any trout drifting, so we only planed to do it for 2 or 3 hours at the end of the day. Low and behold, I caught 3 nice trout and had 3 short bites in about 2 and a half hours of drift fishing. Man had I known that before, we would have done it all day! I listen to the bad reports and it cost me dearly. So the next time we had a weather window, we were going to go for it like we had perfect conditions. (I couldn't care less about the reports because I knew how to catch them)

So Thursday March 8 rolls around and it looks perfect. They stocked the lake on Tuesday and it usually takes 2 day's for the main school of trout to find their way down to the shallow East end of the lake. It was a sunny day too, even though the water was still a little Murky. My friends I had with me, were worried about the water clarity. I told them it wouldn't matter because their would be a big school of freshly stocked trout roaming around the East end. I don't think they would have believed me, but this is the time to be that arrogant arse! When we arrived at the lake at 11:00 am, we noticed they had rented 20 boats out. If they had found that big school of fish, they would have been all lumped together some where. (but they weren't) Their was only 4 boats in the East end fishing obvious spots. So nobody found them yet! Perfect I thought! My friends still doubted me. That was about to change in a hurry.

Every trout season is a little different at lake Wohlford. What I mean by that is, they tend to like a different part of the East end best. This year it's all been down low, from the last air ratter to the reeds. So that's where I started my drift with the magic Power bait. I got bit in the first 5 minutes and missed my fish. But my friend got one soon afterwards and then we had a double on trout. Our next drift we got 4 trout and the next drift after that another 4 trout. So here is our dilemma, we are catching them too fast! It's only 1:30 and we don't want to go home too early with our limits of trout! So we left those fish to fish some where else. We did catch a few in other spots and went back to the Mother load when we had only 2 fish to go for our boat limits. The first fish we caught was a 2 pounder and guess what?????? The last fish of the day was a Big one. It was an 8 pounder and a really nice way to finish off our day.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 03-24-2023 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Sometimes in this life, it pay's to be an arrogant arse! (being humble is for the birds) Some of our best Generals in WW2, were the biggest arses around but they led us to victory! I fish best, when I'm the biggest arse in town! So when I listen to other's report on a lake that is "MY LAKE." I'm just asking for trouble. About a month ago, after the Monster catfish bite finally died down at Irvine lake. We went to lake Wohlford for the Heck of it, because we hadn't gone there in quite awhile because of all the rain. (rain muds out the lake, so it's basically unfishable for trout) We got what seemed was reliable reports from the lake and it was seemly poor trout fishing. (so we went their trying other stuff, instead of our bread and butter fishing) Before we went back to our drifting method, we only managed to catch one 5 pound trout trolling. We had no hopes of catching any trout drifting, so we only planed to do it for 2 or 3 hours at the end of the day. Low and behold, I caught 3 nice trout and had 3 short bites in about 2 and a half hours of drift fishing. Man had I known that before, we would have done it all day! I listen to the bad reports and it cost me dearly. So the next time we had a weather window, we were going to go for it like we had perfect conditions. (I couldn't care less about the reports because I knew how to catch them)

So Thursday March 8 rolls around and it looks perfect. They stocked the lake on Tuesday and it usually takes 2 day's for the main school of trout to find their way down to the shallow East end of the lake. It was a sunny day too, even though the water was still a little Murky. My friends I had with me, were worried about the water clarity. I told them it wouldn't matter because their would be a big school of freshly stocked trout roaming around the East end. (I don't think they would have believed me, but this is the time to be that arrogant arse! When we arrived at the lake at 11:00 am, we noticed they had rented 20 boats out. If they had found that big school of fish, they would have been all lumped together some where. (but they weren't) Their was only 4 boats in the East end fishing obvious spots. So nobody found them yet! Perfect I thought! My friends still doubted me. That was about to change in a hurry.

Every trout season is a little different at lake Wohlford. What I mean by that is, they tend to like a different part of the East end best. This year it's all been down low, from the last air ratter to the reeds. So that's where I started my drift with the magic Power bait. I got bit in the first 5 minutes and missed my fish. But my friend got one soon afterwards and then we had a double on trout. Our next drift we got 4 trout and the next drift after that another 4 trout. So here is our dilemma, we are catching them too fast! It's only 1:30 and we don't want to go home too early with our limits of trout! So we left those fish to fish some where else. We did catch a few in other spots and went back to the Mother load when we had only 2 fish to go for our boat limits. The first fish we caught was a 2 pounder and guess what?????? The last fish of the day was a Big one. It was an 8 pounder and a really nice way to finish off our day.
    You are the Wohlford Master!