Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: good chance for albacore fishing this year

Default good chance for albacore fishing this year

looks like there will be a good chance for a semi local showing this year

colder water extending to the southern commercial fleet and a notable increase in biomass may lead to a real local season this year

things always change but if migration continues in it's current direction we should see fish close enough to motivate a inshore season for the first time in decades

I would hope one day we would see Albacore caught locally again. If nothing else, so many of the newbie saltwater anglers can claim they actually caught one. I sound so old on the partyboats, telling all my Albacore story's to people that haven't even seen one before except in a can! With that being said, "it's been 15 years since I caught any Albacore. In that 15 years since then, I think I've read almost every year, that we might see some Albacore coming this summer! So that prediction is 0 for 13. Why 0 for 13 and not 0 for 15. Nobody could say with a straight face the possibility of Albacore being caught in 2014 and 2015. (way to warm a water then) So if you're a gambler, play the streak and not bet against it! So with all those past losing predictions, I'll believe it, when I see 50 dead Albacore on the boat Pacific Queen. If anybody can catch fish, "it's the captain of the PQ!" Lol

They say that every year the water is a little cold! I haven't caught any albacore in SoCal waters since early 2000's. I remember when catching 10 would be a slow day. I'm with you Tucker, I'll believe it when I see it! These were caught out of Monterey in 2013. You can't even catch them there anymore, gotta go to Oregon or North to catch one now.

(Check out the T57 hat from my brother Dana. I miss you bro! RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
    They say that every year the water is a little cold! I haven't caught any albacore in SoCal waters since early 2000's. I remember when catching 10 would be a slow day. I'm with you Tucker, I'll believe it when I see it! These were caught out of Monterey in 2013. You can't even catch them there anymore, gotta go to Oregon or North to catch one now.

(Check out the T57 hat from my brother Dana. I miss you bro! RIP)
    Totally with you webmaster on not believing it till I see it in Southern CA.

I want to catch Albacore 1 more time before I die.

I've even looked into Albacore trips from Westport Washington. (that is the Mecca for Albacore fishing)

I will definitely write a report with pictures if I make the journey up there! Lol

spent 8 years commercial fishing yellowfin and mostly albacore in 80 degree water
    my home port was pago pago
    not exactly astoria

albacore thrive in the tropics

same for indian ocean or when the southern fish are off kaui on their way to midway and japan no 56 degree water

cold water as a must is pure urban legend upwellings are a more important fact

biomass and current would be the determining factor

i know of 2 wfoa boats heading to fish the california coast

why

because of fish mass and projected current patterns of their migration

not to blow off 8,000 gallons of diesel
    Last edited by capoisok; 03-15-2023 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by capoisok View Post
    spent 8 years commercial fishing yellowfin and mostly albacore in 80 degree water
    my home port was pago pago
    not exactly astoria

albacore thrive in the tropics

same for indian ocean or when the southern fish are off kaui on their way to midway and japan no 56 degree water

cold water as a must is pure urban legend upwellings are a more important fact

biomass and current would be the determining factor

i know of 2 wfoa boats heading to fish the california coast

why

because of fish mass and projected current patterns of their migration

not to blow off 8,000 gallons of diesel
    You've got logic and facts on your side. But as a gambler myself, "only 1/3 of the time the best horse on paper wins the race!" So I'm still betting on the streak we will get nothing in the way of Albacore this year. Only time will tell and next November we will know who was right! Lol

it's all in for these guys

no salmon backup to troll for which is the usual backup

i'm not saying half day boats are going to get limits only that they may be within overnight or day and a half runs
    from local landings

and while the numbers were down in the southern catch this season
    surveys show a lot of fish heading north

and if the come inside you'll know by june

Quote Originally Posted by capoisok View Post
    it's all in for these guys

no salmon backup to troll for which is the usual backup

i'm not saying half day boats are going to get limits only that they may be within overnight or day and a half runs
    from local landings

and while the numbers were down in the southern catch this season
    surveys show a lot of fish heading north

and if the come inside you'll know by june
    As an old time Albacore fishermen. (first trip in 1973) I still hope for a Northern bite in the Fall out of Morro Bay. My best trip ever was in 1997 out of Morro in October. We caught 20 Albacore between the 2 of us, for over 700 pounds of Albacore! (35 pound average) That was only the 2nd year they caught any, after a 10 year drought on Albacore! So I'll give it to the Fall, before I write off the season as a failure! Lol

Well, I did catch one in 2014, and it was jackpot fish at 42 pounds. (MY PB)
    I was on the Dominator and we all were catching, BFT, YFT and YT.

Pure luck of course!

Who's the kid in the picture with all the albacore?!?

Hopefully we do get a chance at some local albies.

Take it easy guys.

Robert
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post
    Well, I did catch one in 2014, and it was jackpot fish at 42 pounds. (MY PB)
    I was on the Dominator and we all were catching, BFT, YFT and YT.

Pure luck of course!

Who's the kid in the picture with all the albacore?!?

Hopefully we do get a chance at some local albies.

Take it easy guys.

Robert
    <><
    That "kid" looks pretty old already! Lotta grey hairs in that beard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast