Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: good chance for albacore fishing this year

The last albacore I caught in SoCal waters (actually Mexico). Sept. 2010 down near the 371 bank. They were mixed in with BFT and YFT and only around for a couple of weeks. 68 degree water. I'm sure there's been some incidental catches since then but this was the last time we had a decent shot at them.

rock fishing is a fun way to nab the big ones

when handlining or sportfishing in with foamers or deep meter marks fish

yf. be, and alb's tend to stack up with the bigest fish on the bottom

you need a bucketful of smooth softball sized river rocks

maybe about 15,20ft back start wrapping your line [mono helps] around the rock , carefully no kinks

the more wraps the deeper your bait will go before the rock spins free and you got a deep free swimmer

you need to experiment ,but once dialed in pardon the pun you'll rock out

better than downrigger's

I was able to track down some more information about what this hub bub of Albacore in CA is all about. If you bet on my source, you would be working side by side with him in China. (for real!) My source is none other the Philip Friedman of 976-tuna fame. Well some of you might think, he should be a good source for fishing information. (since he founded 976-tuna) Well he did start 976-tuna, but he drove that place in to totally bankruptcy. (he then went to work in China to support himself) Some of you might say, "that's my number 1 source for partboat information!" How could he have gone into bankruptcy! Well his former employee, Terry Berg aka other names. Took that bankrupt business and made it into what it is today. I call him Terry Berg, because that's the name we called him for years, while he was growing up in my Day Care center! Lol

So take this Albacore information I'm about to give you with a grain of Salt. He (Philip Friedman) fully admits for the last 2 years in a row, "that he predicted we would have some kind of an Albacore bite in CA!" So he's already 0 for 2 and now he's going out on a limb and predicting more Albacore this year. If he fails this year, he will be 0 for 3. See why some of us are so skeptical about Albacore predictions! It's usually no more then just wish full thinking!

With all that being said, "this is what all the hub bub is all about!"

Last year the Albacore highway was off of Point Blanco and above. No real Albacore numbers were taken below Point Blanco. (the right current, temp, etc were at Point Blanco) This year, that same mix of the right current, temp, etc is 350 miles South of Point Blanco. Well if the right ingredients are 350 miles south this year, that sounds good for a new area of good Albacore fishing right???????? That very well could be, but where is 350 miles South of Point Blanco????? Where in heck is Point Blanco any way!!!!!! Point Blanco is in Oregon if I got that right. So where does that put the Albacore this year???? Right above San Francisco! That's a long way from San Diego or San Pedro isn't it????? Only time will tell, but I sure wouldn't bet my house on us catching Albacore any where near Orange County this year! I sure wouldn't want to have to go work in China would you???? If I bought an Albacore boat this year with my nest egg and lost that bet with my life savings. China here I come! Lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 03-17-2023 at 05:37 PM.

i am just hoping that they crack to 60 mile range for

overnight or 1 1/2 excursions

in the late 50's - early 60's i can remember some years they used to swim up the channel and could be hung on the front side of radalina and even on the old offshore barges back in the day when a live choyy cost a nickel and a freshy grilled frozen hockey puck and fries cost 50 cents

and for people that say they are gone forever locally

two thoughts to keep in mind

sardines and bluefin
    Last edited by capoisok; 03-18-2023 at 06:23 AM.

doubling down

fish are heading our way
    300 miles off of panama now

i don't know if they will make it locally
    but for DECADES the west coast was lucky to see a few 15 lb bluefin and people went crazy to catch them

now 200+lb fish are common and they have been caught within a few miles off the beach

so to all the pond and stink bait fisherman here i would think you would be hoping i am going to be correct

the fish are on track to show by june
    Last edited by capoisok; 03-25-2023 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by capoisok View Post
    doubling down

fish are heading our way
    300 miles off of panama now

i don't know if they will make it locally
    but for DECADES the west coast was lucky to see a few 15 lb bluefin and people went crazy to catch them

now 200+lb fish are common and they have been caught within a few miles off the beach

so to all the pond and stink bait fisherman here i would think you would be hoping i am going to be correct

the fish are on track to show by june
    Before I get to the odds that we might see Albacore off of the Northern Baja banks. I just read an article about how much DDT is on the ocean floor from our beaches out to Catalina Island! It might prove to be dangerous enough to shut down all of our inshore ocean fishing. So some of you might want to consider, becoming a pond and stinkbait fishermen to safely enjoy your fishing hobby!

Back to the Albacore showing up on our local banks. As a gambler, the best thing to help you predict success is what been happening in recent years. So our commercial friends are see something so radically happening, that the past 15 years results will radically be changed in just 1 year! (that's not how it happened in the past) So I doubt, that's how it would happen this year! So if someone wants to bet you money, we would even have a mediocre season on local Albacore. The wise guy's and the smart money would take that bet! Lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 03-25-2023 at 12:55 PM.

if you just became aware of tonic dumping off of ratalina or santa monica bay or san diego by private industry and the military

and have fished off the coast for any length of time

the only way you wouldn't be aware is to have lived in a cave under a turnip patch

dumping went on till 1972
    with news articles discussing it locally since the 1950's

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-toxic-history

the dumping went on for at least 75 years
    mostly in deeper canyons

and as far as a complete biomass instant overnight change
    again check out how many tons of sardines were harvested off the coast yearly for the last century
    how overnight the catch crashed and then how overnight it reappeared just as big as it historically had been
    same for bluefin

local contamination has little to do with migratory species such as tuna

if you just became aware of tonic dumping off of ratalina or santa monica bay or san diego by private industry and the military

and have fished off the coast for any length of time

the only way you wouldn't be aware is to have lived in a cave under a turnip patch

dumping went on till 1972
    with news articles discussing it locally since the 1950's

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-toxic-history

the dumping went on for at least 75 years
    mostly in deeper canyons

and as far as a complete biomass instant overnight change
    again check out how many tons of sardines were harvested off the coast yearly for the last century
    how overnight the catch crashed and then how overnight it reappeared just as big as it historically had been
    same for bluefin

local contamination has little to do with migratory species such as tuna
    When it comes to the dumping of say DDT, of course it was common knowledge to anyone who could read. What the news flash is now, "in 70 years" their was no degrade of it's potency! That seems to have surprised even the experts.

the story your reading is 3 years old and the real number of barrels is closer to 500,000
    with as much or more in santa monica bay ,the dump sites are charted along with tele cables

and at least as much off shore san diego also marked

i would be more worried about the cesium-137 that was dumped at the same time period in the same zones that will be around a thousand years from now

every few years the press stirs it up again and after 70 +years of knowledge of the problem

you really think the concentration levels weren't monitored by the dod and the epa
    or that lack of degeneration is a new finding

https://www.latimes.com/environment/...-than-expected
    Last edited by capoisok; 03-25-2023 at 05:27 PM.

the story your reading is 3 years old and the real number of barrels is closer to 500,000
    with as much or more in santa monica bay ,the dump sites are charted along with tele cables

and at least as much off shore san diego also marked

i would be more worried about the cesium-137 that was dumped at the same time period in the same zones that will be around a thousand years from now

every few years the press stirs it up again and after 70 +years of knowledge of the problem

you really think the concentration levels weren't monitored by the dod and the epa
    or that lack of degeneration is a new finding

https://www.latimes.com/environment/...-than-expected
    I'll take one of your quotes in the above comment and make a comment.

You really think the concentration levels weren't monitored by the dod and epa?

I'll go with the assumption they were.

So!!!!!!!!

You're telling me when a problem is detected that endangers peoples Health and Welfare. The government immediately reacts to solve the problem, before human life is put at risk or is lost!

Let me remind people of dangers the government ignored or put a band aid on it for years. (while thousands of people died every year)

1. Smoking

2. Climate change

3. Gun violence

4. Automobile safety devices (including seat belts and air bags)

5. Pollution of our oceans including dumping!!!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 03-26-2023 at 09:42 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast