Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Thought Process of Spooling a Fishing Reel?

Default Thought Process of Spooling a Fishing Reel?

My Blue Azores 4K Was Given To Me Years Ago & Now Needs New Line!

My friend sent me 7 Blue Azores 4K, 6K & 8K Spinning Reels by Okuma to try out from Surf Casting to Plugging/Jigging & Spin Casting. I've found the 2 larger sizes to be on the slightly bulky side but holds a lot of line. I fell in love with those 4 4000's! Has a max drag of 28lbs. Extremely powerful & dependable reels. In fact i still have my white/silver originals that i've purchased from Sports Authority before they closed.

A few weeks ago i shore casted a live crab in a place i wasn't familiar with. When i retrieved the rig the baited line was getting constantly "hung up" on rocks. Must've casted over a shallow shelf as half way in it got deeper again. But the damage was done. Going over that raised area on the retrieve costed me a lot of line that i had to cut off. Yes, it was braid as it was set for the Okuma Product Designer when he was last here. Took John whipping for Papi'o Jacks.

If you notice chaffed line YES you need to cut that section out. Often when i'm retrieving line i'm running it between my fingers to catch these spots. Now it's up to you what type of line to use. You don't need a spooler, just keep constant pressure on the spool is all. Having someone holding your spool while applying pressure to keep the line taunt will work. I used to run a wooden dowel through the spool w/my toes applying pressure while i spooled my reels.

It'll cost you in the beginning but buy bulk spools. Way cheaper. Figure out your most used line strength & type and invest wisely. Good deals always on eBay to discontinued stock items on Amazon at the end of the year. A Fishon Spooler showed here is the largest by Sportsman Innovations. Even GJS Fishing Supply on Maui purchased that same unit from Brandon Rodgers of Sportsman Innovations for spooling line free for his customers.

https://youtu.be/7dfcaPkAKek
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9582.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	54035