Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: What happens to your Physique, after you catch your great white whale!

Default What happens to your Physique, after you catch your great white whale!

Before we get to todays bed time fishing story boy's and girls. I just want to remind people, to help keep this fishing website alive. We need as much participation as possible! It doesn't matter what kind of fishing your doing and your success or failure. Write anything up and I'm sure many others would love to hear about it. (I'll lead by example) After my last failed feeble attempt at catching an Irvine lake lake trout. I decided to stop on my way home and check out one of the smaller ponds that got stocked the same time as Irvine lake. This one was Carbon Canyon and I was amazed at how crowded it was for a Friday. It was wrapped solid around with people. (even though the best fishing is on the West end) As I was walking down to the waters edge, I saw 3 trout being reeled in. That's more trout then Irvine lake produced all day! (I know where I'm going next month, when that lake gets stocked) Same thing happened the week before at Irvine Regional park. After Linus got skunked on trout at Irvine lake. He stopped by there and caught his limit of trout in only a couple of hours of fishing. The smaller ponds are producing when their stocked with trout. I'll give you the top 3 baits to try, if you try to fish any of them. Inflated Night crawlers, Pink Power worms, wacky rigged with a number 12 Mosquito hook and Mice tails. Power bait if you must, but I'd try the other baits first! (dip everything in Garlic)

The next day after I landed my Great White Whale. (#50 Blue Catfish)

Since I've been chasing this Catfish for several years. How am I going to feel the next time I go catfishing at Irvine lake. (once the goal has been accomplished) I don't fish for food, I never eat any freshwater fish I catch. (I do eat ocean fish) So catching dinner is never a motivation to go freshwater fishing. I go for the challenge of it! Because all Real Men have a secret wish. To outsmart Women, Race Horses and Fish! Lol So as I'm walking down the road to my catfish spot. I'm thinking, what am I really trying to do here and how will I feel if I catch a 15 pound catfish? I was soon to find out! I got there at 9:00 am, so there was some Lazy trout fishermen fishing in my area, because they were too lazy to walk down towards where they stock them at. It should be better trout fishing down yonder, but who am I kidding. Their not biting any where, so these lazy trout fishermen can just as easily get skunked here and not make the longer walk! Lol Even if they did get a bite, their is so many underwater bushes in front of them. They will lose them immediately with the light line their fishing with. They did get 2 bites and of course they lost them immediately. That's what they get for being so lazy! Lol

I brought 2 poles with me today. The one I landed the 50 pounder on and my favorite catfish pole, that I've landed 90% of all my Irvine lake catfish on. That pole is a lot lighter then the other one, so it's a lot more fun to catch a catfish on. One of the Lazy trout fishermen set up exactly where I wanted to fish. So I had to go up about 40 feet higher then I wanted too. After an hour soak I got a bite, it bent the pole and didn't move for a few seconds. Then it moved and tryed to take the rod into the lake. (it's a good one) With this light pole, it went right into the bushes and it was over before I even pumped on it. So much for this light pole in this spot! (even though I got a 12 pounder in this spot a week ago on this pole) That pole is officially retired for now. I'm going to try some new much heavier poles this week. I have no idea if I can cast them far enough till I try. (I still got my other pole that does works) But never go into battle without a spare pole is my motto! At around noon the lazy trout fishermen called it a day and went home. So now I was able to cast where I wanted too all along! I made a good cast and just waited. Since my goal of catching a 50 pounder was accomplished yesterday and I flubbed up my first bite. I wasn't really very amped up about fishing. So I took a little nap while I was fishing. When I woke up, I noticed I didn't miss anything. But it was getting to that 1 hour of the afternoon bite time. So I waited patiently and I wasn't disappointed soon afterwards. My pole got bit and the way be pulled the rod down, it wasn't a stocker size catfish. I made short work on him and he was a very nice pretty Yellow catfish! He was 15 pounds plus easy! Since that was the only fish caught on that part of the bank today. I drew a pretty good crowd! Everyone said, "look how big it is!" My truthful response was, "this was nothing!" You should have seen the one I caught yesterday. It was 3 times as Big!!!!!!! That's what happens, "if you finally get what you wish for!" Then what?????????? Lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 02-06-2023 at 08:31 AM.

Default Irvine Regional

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Before we get to todays bed time fishing story boy's and girls. I just want to remind people, to help keep this fishing website alive. We need as much participation as possible! It doesn't matter what kind of fishing your doing and your success or failure. Write anything up and I'm sure many others would love to hear about it. (I'll lead by example) After my last failed feeble attempt at catching an Irvine lake lake trout. I decided to stop on my way home and check out one of the smaller ponds that got stocked the same time as Irvine lake. This one was Carbon Canyon and I was amazed at how crowded it was for a Friday. It was wrapped solid around with people. (even though the best fishing is on the West end) As I was walking down to the waters edge I, saw 3 trout being reeled in. That's more trout then Irvine lake produced all day! (I know where I'm going next month, when that lake gets stocked) Same thing happened the week before at Irvine Regional park. After Linus got skunked on trout at Irvine lake. He stopped by there and caught his limit of trout in only a couple of hours of fishing. The smaller ponds are producing when their stocked with trout. I'll give you the top 3 baits to try, if you try to fish any of them. Inflated Night crawlers, Pink Power worms, wacky rigged with a number 12 Mosquito hook and Mice tails. Power bait if you must, but I'd try the other baits first! (dip everything in Garlic)

The next day after I landed my Great White Whale. (#50 Blue Catfish)
    It's funny you mentioned Irvine Regional. I went there for bait fishing and discovered two major problems. #1 If you bait fish from the bottom up, your bait gets consumed by weeds. #2 The lake is consumed with "jiggers". Jiggers have a different set of ethics than bait fishermen. They are wall to wall and if you are catching fish at your spot they will overpower you like a Pelican does to a cormorant. It is every man for himself and there is no spacing rules amongst them. The jiggers target the smaller ponds and they invade them like an army. I have to admit they know what they are doing and will out catch the bait fishermen somewhere like 6 to 1. For every fish a bait fishermen catches they will catch 6 or more. It doesn't take long for those guys to empty those small lakes because they are stocked with less pounds. It is certainly not peaceful or enjoyable to bait fish there. I don't saying anything to those guys who crowd into me because I was fishing from the bottom up and they are fishing on top, they are pretty accurate at their casting skills, and there are too many of them to hassle. They are like a fraternity. That being said if you are going to fish the smaller lakes like Irving Regional, Carbon Canyon, Yorba Linda, or Milesquare, you should be aware of what you are going to run into.

Quote Originally Posted by Limit Time View Post
    It's funny you mentioned Irvine Regional. I went there for bait fishing and discovered two major problems. #1 If you bait fish from the bottom up, your bait gets consumed by weeds. #2 The lake is consumed with "jiggers". Jiggers have a different set of ethics than bait fishermen. They are wall to wall and if you are catching fish at your spot they will overpower you like a Pelican does to a cormorant. It is every man for himself and there is no spacing rules amongst them. The jiggers target the smaller ponds and they invade them like an army. I have to admit they know what they are doing and will out catch the bait fishermen somewhere like 6 to 1. For every fish a bait fishermen catches they will catch 6 or more. It doesn't take long for those guys to empty those small lakes because they are stocked with less pounds. It is certainly not peaceful or enjoyable to bait fish there. I don't saying anything to those guys who crowd into me because I was fishing from the bottom up and they are fishing on top, they are pretty accurate at their casting skills, and there are too many of them to hassle. They are like a fraternity. That being said if you are going to fish the smaller lakes like Irving Regional, Carbon Canyon, Yorba Linda, or Milesquare, you should be aware of what you are going to run into.
    That's very true especially at Ralph B. and Irvine Regional. (the clear water lakes work best for jiggers) But the dirtier lakes like Carbon Canyon and others. Not as much as a problem! Lol