Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Irvine lake trout season is over before it ever got started! (2023)

Default Irvine lake trout season is over before it ever got started! (2023)

We've all seen as children the Halloween special "the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown." That's where Linus foregone trick and treating to instead wait for the Great Pumpkin to visiting his pumpkin patch. (he then would reward all the children who believed in him with great gifts!) Of course the Great Pumpkin never came and he and Sally missed out on trick and treating that year! I bring this story up, because that's what my Irvine lake fishing buddy's keep telling me about Irvine lake trout fishing. (their Linus and I'm Sally) If you just believe enough, it will happen they keep telling me! I remember the first 2 years of trout fishing since they reopened it. (those fish bit every time they were stocked) Then last year, they went from buying their trout from Wright's hatchery to Black Rock Canyon hatchery. Those trout didn't bite worth a crap for me last year and with the exception of the first plant, first day this year, they still haven't bit yet! In my opinion, their not going to bite at all this year. Besides them being crappy trout, the lake rose another 100 horizontal feet this week! The whole West shore is nothing but snag city right now! (hardly any spots left even to fish their now) So basically their trout season is over for the year! Even though their going to stock it 5 more times with trout.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 01-23-2023 at 06:01 AM.

irvine gets a lot of wind

you ever try kiting for trout
    fly or bait
    you can work any shore depending on wind direction

hard to get them back through the weeds a long handle net is a must

dude post some pics of the lake, its been a while since I have seen those water levels

Quote Originally Posted by muskyman View Post
    dude post some pics of the lake, its been a while since I have seen those water levels
    Been asking him for few years
    About pics’….

CM

Quote Originally Posted by crappiemike View Post
    Been asking him for few years
    About pics’….

CM

Old Irvine:

CM

I was there this weekend with the kids. Honestly, hard to find a flat enough area to set up camp with the kids. There were only really 3 areas to fish in the west shore line. The first is the boat ramp area, second is half way to the boat dock, and the last flat area is by the boat docks. We fished the boat dock area and had 1 trout within 15 minutes of setting up. That was it. It bit on a chartreuse garlic power bait. The water is very stained and muddy. It'll be awhile before that water clears up. Saw a group of guys trying to pull in what looked like a giant wooden beam out of the water. Water is up almost to the boat ramp next to the park lot. The whole middle area you were able to walk through last year is under water. To get from West Shoreline to East now requires you to walk all the way back to the parking lot and then to the east shoreline.

Sad but true. The rain has really took its toll on the fishing spots and now where you are casting is in the thick of the brushes. There will be a lot of tackle lost in that lake for sure. The Register posted a photo of before and after and you can see it has become a total mud bowl. All the spots that were productive cannot be reached anymore and the fish will be probably out of casting range. What a waste of a season.

Quote Originally Posted by Limit Time View Post
    Sad but true. The rain has really took its toll on the fishing spots and now where you are casting is in the thick of the brushes. There will be a lot of tackle lost in that lake for sure. The Register posted a photo of before and after and you can see it has become a total mud bowl. All the spots that were productive cannot be reached anymore and the fish will be probably out of casting range. What a waste of a season.
    Look at the positive side:

The lakes fish will have a
    Place to spawn without be-
    ing messed with = ?

CM