Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Follow up to the derby the next day

Default Follow up to the derby the next day

Before I start making another one of my daily fishing tweets! (I'm doing my best Elon Musk impersonation) Lol I'm trying to bring some life back to this website by leading by example! I'm even telling people at the lakes to read my reports. (one time they did, but they stopped checking in at FNN) Hopefully this will change a bit! The more I talk to people, the more information I'm getting about not just the lakes I fish but other lakes too. I saw some killer pictures of Big Stripers caught at Skinner lake. Plus a good catfish report about Big catfish caught at one of the Orange County ponds. Sharing some information without burning a lake is a very good thing. I had a funny thing happened as I was fishing at Irvine lake the day after the derby. 2 young men went walking by where I was fishing and asked how well I did at Lake Wohlford last week. Apparently they saw me fishing in a boat and noticed I was catching some trout! Kinda neat I'm standing out in the fishing community! Lol

I'm not just going to make post's to brag about my catches or point fingers when I fail!!!!! Lol But give out some valuable information that will help people catch more fish at the lakes I fish at. Let's go over Irvine lake post derby. On Sunday the crowd wasn't too bad, which means Irvine probably won't be too crowded during trout season. Their not going to stock the lake again till Jan 9 but next week and beyond still should be pretty good! Why because they just didn't catch very many of the 4,000 pounds of trout they stocked for the derby. The shoreline is so small now on the West shore, most spots should produce something. If you go there, forget about the Power Bait and Night Crawlers at being the top baits. I feel it's going to be all on the plastics fished in a bait and wait situation, dipped in smelly stuff. Probably the Best trout fishermen in the lake, had a real nice Sunday outing. I think they were 1 fish short of a double limit of trout on Power Mice. (they were decent ones too!) I showed up late to the party with my Power Worms and had 2 hours of good action till the cormorants shut down my spot! The only thing I didn't like about my catch on the Power Worms were, "they were all dinks!" I don't know if that's a trend. But I'll know in the answer in the next couple of weeks.

Tip of the week!

I don't want you people breaking the bank on all different colors of plastic baits. So I'm going to give 1 good color of each bait to try with the right size hook.

Power Mice: Go with the white head and the orange body fished on a number 8 Mosquito hook light wire.

Power Worms: Go with the Hot pink fished on a number 12 Mosquito hook wacky rigged! Hook the bait in the middle of the worm.

Don't forget to add your favorite stink to the baits. I personally like Bite on Garlic!

Don't be afraid to move around till you find them or see others catching them in an area!

Good Luck and I'll do some more follow up reports.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 12-20-2022 at 05:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Before I start making another one of my daily fishing tweets! (I'm doing my best Elon Musk impersonation) Lol I'm trying to bring some life back to this website by leading by example! I'm even telling people at the lakes to read my reports. (one time they did, but they stopped checking in at FNN) Hopefully this will change a bit! The more I talk to people, the more information I'm getting about not just the lakes I fish but other lakes too. I saw some killer pictures of Big Stripers caught at Skinner lake. Plus a good catfish report about Big catfish caught at one of the Orange County ponds. Sharing some information without burning a lake is a very good thing. I had a funny thing happened as I was fishing at Irvine lake the day after the derby. 2 young men went walking by where I was fishing and asked how well I did at Lake Wohlford last week. Apparently they saw me fishing in a boat and noticed I was catching some trout! Kinda neat I'm standing out in the fishing community! Lol

I'm not just going to make post's to brag about my catches or point fingers when I fail!!!!! Lol But give out some valuable information that will help people catch more fish at the lakes I fish at. Let's go over Irvine lake post derby. On Sunday the crowd wasn't too bad, which means Irvine probably won't be too crowded during trout season. Their not going to stock the lake again till Jan 9 but next week and beyond still should be pretty good! Why because they just didn't catch very many of the 4,000 pounds of trout they stocked for the derby. The shoreline is so small now on the West shore, most spots should produce something. If you go there, forget about the Power Bait and Night Crawlers at being the top baits. I feel it's going to be all on the plastics fished in a bait and wait situation, dipped in smelly stuff. Probably the Best trout fishermen in the lake, had a real nice Sunday outing. I think they were 1 fish short of a double limit of trout on Power Mice. (they were decent ones too!) I showed up late to the party with my Power Worms and had 2 hours of good action till the cormorants shut down my spot! The only thing I didn't like about my catch on the Power Worms were, "they were all dinks!" I don't know if that's a trend. But I'll know in the answer in the next couple of weeks.

Tip of the week!

I don't want you people breaking the bank on all different colors of plastic baits. So I'm going to give 1 good color of each bait to try with the right size hook.

Power Mice: Go with the white head and the orange body fished on a number 8 Mosquito hook light wire.

Power Worms: Go with the Hot pink fished on a number 12 Mosquito hook wacky rigged! Hook the bait in the middle of the worm.

Don't forget to add your favorite stink to the baits. I personally like Bite on Garlic!

Don't be afraid to move around till you find them or see others catching them in an area!

Good Luck and I'll do some more follow up reports.
    Anything pro cure works well also, I've caught stockers on anchovy/sardine flavor, fish meal is part of their hatchery diet, in fact its all their diet. I throw lures to them also; the Thomas buoyant, super duper, mini jig, rooster tail etc. Adjust your colors according to the light conditions, but white gold and silver are the most effective, fire tiger when those fail. I also caught a really big triploid/10 lb. on a fire pink rooster tail at Hesperia lake. I let it go.
    Last edited by Theos; 12-20-2022 at 07:17 AM.

Hope people read your suggestions because your info is "spot on"!