Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Round 2 (Fight!!!!)

Default Round 2 (Fight!!!!)

Since this website isn't getting too many fish reports now a days! (their is plenty of room to hear mine) Lol I went again this past Thursday Dec 15, 2022 to Lake Wohlford. Since it was a Thursday, I took advantage of the $20 dollar senior boat rental price along with the $6 senior fishing permit price! ($26 permit and boat rental) What a deal! The $20 boat rental price is every Tuesday and Thursday for 60 year old people and older. I was a little worried about the rain screwing up the water but it was just fine!

Since Lake Wohlford has more then just trout in it, "I brought a trolling outfit for Crappie." Nice thought," but I caught no Crappies but 2 trout couldn't resist my Crappie trolling lure. So let's get back to my drifting for trout. When I got to the East end, all the boats were in 1 little area. (the middle of Willow cove) So I thought this may be a really good sign or a really terrible sign. It could be a good sign, because that left 70% of the whole East end without a single boat in it. (perfect for drifting) Or it could be a bad sign, because it meant all the fish are all schooled up in one small area. After an hour of drifting without a single bite, "I went over to check out the fleet of boats." Once I got over there, I realized they were all Fly boats! (Fly fishermen)

I need to say something about the Fly boats because I don't want to lead anybody a stray when it comes to the rules! Since I've been fishing Lake Wohlford for the last 6 or 7 years, they have had 3 different trout hatchery's supply their fish. You need to know that because different hatchery trout react differently and have their favorite baits. When they stocked Nebraska Tail Walker trout, they loved Orange Power bait. When they switched over to the Calaveras trout hatchery, those trout loved fly's. When they went to the current hatchery (Mount Lassen) not so much on the Fly's, unless their all schooled up in a tiny spot! (which they are now) Which if you go this weekend, your going to see the Fly boats knock the crap out of them! Which leads up to the famous question, can you C&R trout at Lake Wohlford? It got so bad when they stocked Calaveras trout, they had to put up a paper sign at the ticket booth. Saying no Catch and Release on Trout! Yet they mentioned barbless hooks and rubber nets in the same sentence! Just don't do it! Regardless of what you see!

Remember when I called people "LOSERS" for anchoring your boat? If you go there this weekend, you need to anchor your boat in Willow cove! Lol I drifted and caught my trout limit, acting like a poacher! I would quietly sneak up to the Fly boats and cast in their direction and drift away from them hoping to get a quick bite! It did work, but I felt like such a pussy, I couldn't find my own fish! If you are a Mini Jigger, it would be a good time to go! Because you are not fishing for scattered fish, but concentrated fish in 1 little area. Not that it matters or anybody should care. But DFG stocked their 1/2 pound trout their yesterday! So if you catch a small one, "that's where it came from!" They are stocking again next week, Dec 19 to 23. So hopefully the new group of fish, will go to different parts of the lake!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 12-16-2022 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Since this website isn't getting too many fish reports now a days! (their is plenty of room to hear mine) Lol I went again this past Thursday Dec 15, 2022 to Lake Wohlford. Since it was a Thursday, I took advantage of the $20 dollar senior boat rental price along with the $6 senior fishing permit price! ($26 permit and boat rental) What a deal! The $20 boat rental price is every Tuesday and Thursday for 60 year old people and older. I was a little worried about the rain screwing up the water but it was just fine!

Since Lake Wohlford has more then just trout in it, "I brought a trolling outfit for Crappie." Nice thought," but I caught no Crappies but 2 trout couldn't resist my Crappie trolling lure. So let's get back to my drifting for trout. When I got to the East end, all the boats were in 1 little area. (the middle of Willow cove) So I thought this may be a really good sign or a really terrible sign. It could be a good sign, because that left 70% of the whole East end without a single boat in it. (perfect for drifting) Or it could be a bad sign, because it meant all the fish are all schooled up in one small area. After an hour of drifting without a single bite, "I went over to check out the fleet of boats." Once I got over there, I realized they were all Fly boats! (Fly fishermen)

I need to say something about the Fly boats because I don't want to lead anybody a stray when it comes to the rules! Since I've been fishing Lake Wohlford for the last 6 or 7 years, they have had 3 different trout hatchery's supply their fish. You need to know that because different hatchery trout react differently and have their favorite baits. When they stocked Nebraska Tail Walker trout, they loved Orange Power bait. When they switched over to the Calaveras trout hatchery, those trout loved fly's. When they went to the current hatchery (Mount Lassen) not so much on the Fly's, unless their all schooled up in a tiny spot! (which they are now) Which if you go this weekend, your going to see the Fly boats knock the crap out of them! Which leads up to the famous question, can you C&R trout at Lake Wohlford? It got so bad when they stocked Calaveras trout, they had to put up a paper sign at the ticket booth. Saying no Catch and Release on Trout! Yet they mentioned barbless hooks and rubber nets in the same sentence! Just don't do it! Regardless of what you see!

Remember when I called people "LOSERS" for anchoring your boat? If you go there this weekend, you need to anchor your boat in Willow cove! Lol I drifted and caught my trout limit, acting like a poacher! I would quietly sneak up to the Fly boats and cast in their direction and drift away from them hoping to get a quick bite! It did work, but I felt like such a pussy, I couldn't find my own fish! If you are a Mini Jigger, it would be a good time to go! Because you are not fishing for scattered fish, but concentrated fish in 1 little area. Not that it matters or anybody should care. But DFG stocked their 1/2 pound trout their yesterday! So if you catch a small one, "that's where it came from!" They are stocking again next week, Dec 19 to 23. So hopefully the new group of fish, will go to different parts of the lake!
    I've never trolled for crappie, but I have made long casts with mini jigs and light line/braid. Clear lake is off the chain for slabs, always has been. I've also caught a few at of all places puddingstone. Chasing the stocking truck is hopeless. The best days to fish are after the truck, like 2 weeks after the truck. January February should be good times for trout.
    Last edited by Theos; 12-18-2022 at 11:01 AM.