Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Lake Wohlford opener 2022

Default Lake Wohlford opener 2022

I've always considered Lake Wohlford a boat lake! (best fishing coming from a boat) Yet I think they deliberately tried to give the shore anglers a fighting chance this opener. Let me explain how Wohlford trout stockings usually go down. (the fish then bite in a predictable manor) The opener is always on a Saturday and they use to stock them early Wed morning. That gives the fish time to circulate to their preferred part of the lake. (which is the shallow East end) But this opener they stocked them Friday morning. (that's not enough time for the majority of the fish to work their way down to the East end where it's only 6 feet deep) So many of the fish were still hanging around where they stocked them at by the Boat docks. This area is not very accessible by boat but has the majority of the limited shore space available. So on opening day some of the shore guy's did ok in Boat Dock cove and the Senior shoreline.

So what happened to the guy's in Boats?

They still did ok, but is was a lot tougher then it should have been since they stocked 5,500 pounds of trout instead of the usual 4,000! It should have been WFO in a boat in the East end. I normally don't fish the opener down at Lake Wohlford because I don't have too! I can catch plenty of fish day's later and I don't need virgin opening day fish to catch. However, something changed that made me need to go on opening day. It's called the weather!!!!! Wohlford is notorious to get all muddied out for day's or even weeks after a big rain. The opener on Saturday called for beautiful weather and then a huge storm was going to come in and and screw the place all up the following day. (so it's now or never for a couple of weeks) So I came up with a plan. Get there at noon and get the boats coming in and re rent one! Wohlford is not like that Skunk of a place like lake Dixon that won't re rent boats! So I put my name down and in less the 30 minutes I had a boat at a slightly reduced price. ($30 after noon for a boat and motor)

I don't mean to toot my own horn. (But I consider myself the best bait fishermen in the lake) So I'm going to tell you people the hot bait set up for Lake Wohlford, fishing from a boat. Start with #2 pound test and a number 5 split shot and an 16 size treble hook. You only need 2 flavors of Power bait for this lake. Yellow corn and Natural Garlic. (light green color) dip in "Bite on Garlic" and you got the best bait and set up in the lake! Now on last but a very important thing. DON'T ANCHOR YOUR BOAT! Drift the boat and if you anchor instead, you are a "LOSER!" You are deliberately trying not to catch fish! I don't care if everybody else is anchored, "DON'T DO IT!" You got the best bait and rig, "why do want to handicap yourself?" The fish are moving, your moving and your going to bump into each other. Just drift around till you find them! In most cases, you will find them in the East end of the lake.

Back to opening day fishing in a boat.

No rule is 100% all the time. Their were 2 boats out of the 40 that did their own thing, that had a good result other then what I do! That was the jiggers! Each of them made a 1,000 cast each but were rewarded with a full boat of fish! (that's too much work for me) So when I got down to the East end, "I'm shocked to find no one is ready to go home yet!" (it's already 1:00 pm) Most of these people got up at 3:00 am this morning to have gotten a boat today! That reminds me of the most misunderstood saying their ever was. When a women is crying out for, "MORE, MORE and MORE" in an intimate situation. It's not that she can't get enough! It's the fact, she's getting "very little out of the situation!" Lol That was like these people! The other boats didn't get very much action for the 3 hours I was watching them! In fact I got more bites, then all of them combined in the way of hooked fish! I did get a limit for myself and had 3 fall off the hook and missed several bites. Why was I getting all this action???? For all the reasons I mentioned above! The fish were in just 3 small area's in the East end. I'm going to tell you in case anyone goes there soon. They were right around in a circle around the last air ratter. They were also on the buoy line in the South East coroner of the lake. Plus they were close to the reeds in the middle of Willow cove! That was it! I figured out quick that's where they were by drifting.

Hopefully the rain won't wipe it out for too long!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 12-12-2022 at 07:09 AM.

From your reports, Lakes Wohlford sounds like how Laguna Niguel was back in the days. Never anchor and drift fish with power mouse and power bait until you find the fish. Are float tubes allowed at Lake Wohlford?

Quote Originally Posted by lazyfisherman View Post
    From your reports, Lakes Wohlford sounds like how Laguna Niguel was back in the days. Never anchor and drift fish with power mouse and power bait until you find the fish. Are float tubes allowed at Lake Wohlford?
    No float tubes are allowed in there or private boats but that's a good thing! It's just too small and everybody ends up in the same place. But the price is not too bad! $9 for a fishing permit and $40 for all day boat rental. For us old farts here's the big news. On Tues & Thursday an all day boat rental is $20 bucks! Couple that with a $6 senior fishing permit. It's a really good deal! The quality of the fish is outstanding too! Same as SARL! Same hatchery!

We were there for the opener too. Got to the lake at 430 am to a half mile long line of cars. Ran out of boats so we hiked up a bit past the docks/pier areas and fished off some rocks. Eeked out about 4 between 5 of us between 7 am and noon

Went back to the car to eat and ended up renting a boat for the last half of the day. My dad and one of my buddies in one boat and me and my other two friends in another boat. Anchored up at the east end near the buoys and did pretty well for the last few hours of the day. A couple on a kastmaster, a catfish on powerbait, and the rest caught evenly on powerbait and mini jigs. Ended up with about 12 trout and 1 catfish between both boats the last 2-3 hours we were fishing. Mini jigging definitely wasn't wide open but pretty steady with lots of short strikes. Like etucker says....a thousand casts. Lol. Lost a couple big ones too. Tough and long day but the boat saved the day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gokuguy View Post
    We were there for the opener too. Got to the lake at 430 am to a half mile long line of cars. Ran out of boats so we hiked up a bit past the docks/pier areas and fished off some rocks. Eeked out about 4 between 5 of us between 7 am and noon

Went back to the car to eat and ended up renting a boat for the last half of the day. My dad and one of my buddies in one boat and me and my other two friends in another boat. Anchored up at the east end near the buoys and did pretty well for the last few hours of the day. A couple on a kastmaster, a catfish on powerbait, and the rest caught evenly on powerbait and mini jigs. Ended up with about 12 trout and 1 catfish between both boats the last 2-3 hours we were fishing. Mini jigging definitely wasn't wide open but pretty steady with lots of short strikes. Like etucker says....a thousand casts. Lol. Lost a couple big ones too. Tough and long day but the boat saved the day!!!
    I saw you guy's in the corner by the buoy line. (that's why I mentioned it as one of the Hot spots in the East end) I think you guy's did better then anyone else I saw that afternoon down there. Congratulations in sticking it out all day and in making a decent catch!