Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Excellent trout opener 2022

Default Excellent trout opener 2022

Opening day trout opener was Dec 2 2022 and it didn't disappoint many people! The nice part was it wasn't very crowded and they put the fish in that morning at 8:30 am. (so the fish didn't yet have time to swim away from the West shore) It also meant everyone could get a good spot if they wanted too! They also bit a little bit of everything when it comes to bait! Night crawlers, Power bait, Mice tails and Eric's super secret trout bait. I tried for catfish first because I had a Killer Fall Catfish season. With 29 Trophy size catfish caught and an equal amount of less then Trophy size Catfish landed too. (so old habits die hard)

A young Lady ask me a couple of questions as we were walking towards the trout hot spot. She then ask me if I wouldn't mind tagging along with me! I'm always looking to help a fellow angler out. I wonder was it just Luck that I was walking down the path at the same time as her. Or she could tell that I walked with a bit of swagger like I owned the place! Lol She did notice the 2 Okuma trout rods I was carrying! (those are perfect for this kind of fishing)

She did have a couple of drop shot rigs on her rods and she said those work pretty good at SARL. I told her Irvine is mostly a bait and wait lake for trout. I told her to do her own thing and she how it goes. In the mean time lets see how Eric's secret trout bait works. As I expected they couldn't keep off biting Eric's secret trout bait! Since she wasn't getting any action on her pole and mine kept getting bit all the time. I let her reel in several trout on my pole and then I switched her pole over to the secret bait. She then finished her limit off on her pole. She said that was the best fishing trip she ever had. (she even had 3 fish fall off the hook on the way in) I always say that fishing is a mentored sport! Fish with people that already have figured it out and it makes you look like a genius really fast!

Irvine has a weird stocking schedule this year, so check it out before you go!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 12-04-2022 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Opening day trout opener was Dec 2 2022 and it didn't disappoint many people! The nice part was it wasn't very crowded and they put the fish in that morning at 8:30 am. (so the fish didn't yet have time to swim away from the West shore) It also meant everyone could get a good spot if they wanted too! They also bit a little bit of everything when it comes to bait! Night crawlers, Power bait, Mice tails and Eric's super secret trout bait. I tried for catfish first because I had a Killer Fall Catfish season. With 29 Trophy size catfish caught and an equal amount of less then Trophy size Catfish landed too. (so old habits die hard)

A young Lady ask me a couple of questions as we were walking towards the trout hot spot. She then ask me if I wouldn't mind tagging along with me! I'm always looking to help a fellow angler out. I wonder was it just Luck that I was walking down the path at the same time as her. Or she could tell that I walked with a bit of swagger like I owned the place! Lol She did notice the 2 Okuma trout rods I was carrying! (those are perfect for this kind of fishing)

She did have a couple of drop shot rigs on her rods and she said those work pretty good at SARL. I told her Irvine is mostly a bait and wait lake for trout. I told her to do her own thing and she how it goes. In the mean time lets see how Eric's secret trout bait works. As I expected they couldn't keep off biting Eric's secret trout bait! Since she wasn't getting any action on her pole and mine kept getting bit all the time. I let her reel in several trout on my pole and then I switched her pole over to the secret bait. She then finished her limit off on her pole. She said that was the best fishing trip she ever had. (she even had 3 fish fall off the hook on the way in) I always say that fishing is a mentored sport! Fish with people that already have figured it out and it makes you look like a genius really fast!

Irvine has a weird stocking schedule this year, so check it out before you go!

Dang! I skipped the opener at Irvine. I went to Laguna Niguel instead. I limited but it was tough going. Very spotty for fishermen there . A lot of 1 & 2's or nothing at all. It didn't go off like it sounds at Irvine. I went to Irvine on Saturday and the crowd showed up I didn't see too many people hooking up and I got skunked after 3 hours. The fish seemed to have scattered. I did notice that they have really cleaned up the shoreline for fishing this year. That's a plus. Will try again in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Rot8 View Post
    Dang! I skipped the opener at Irvine. I went to Laguna Niguel instead. I limited but it was tough going. Very spotty for fishermen there . A lot of 1 & 2's or nothing at all. It didn't go off like it sounds at Irvine. I went to Irvine on Saturday and the crowd showed up I didn't see too many people hooking up and I got skunked after 3 hours. The fish seemed to have scattered. I did notice that they have really cleaned up the shoreline for fishing this year. That's a plus. Will try again in the future.
    I had the same result at Laguna Niguel last Saturday. Arrived a few minutes after opening but the line was long but moving to get in. Shore line was pretty full but found a spot. Got a couple bites but missed them all. Buddy got a lightning trout but didn't realize he was hooked on and thought he was tangled. His fish got off at shore when he realized he had a fish haha. Another bud skunked.