Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: GIANT Samoan Mud Crab Caught on a Surf Rod & Spinning Reel!

Default GIANT Samoan Mud Crab Caught on a Surf Rod & Spinning Reel!

Barely Fits in my 30L Cooler! ! My Okuma 10ft Nesika Rod & Cedros 4K Spinning Reel!

Recently I was out shore casting for Jacks & Bonefish. I was using my 10ft Nesika Surf Rod & my Cedros 4000 Spinning Reel. I was using thawed-out Ika (squid) for bait as i just started netting live crabs. I threw my rig straight out. 10min latter the line was still taunt but it was way off to the left. What the heck?

So i tried to reel it back ion. Funny, i felt pulling but not a lot. Sometimes i've hooked octopus from shore that did this. Then i really started to put some muscle into it. 5min worth. It was coming in but very slowly as it was fighting me the whole way! So i edited much of the fight.

Imagine my surprise as i realized i brought in the largest Samoan Crab i've seen in awhile (also called Mud & Sole Crab). It was grabbing rocks to counter my reeling. I re-set my rod back into the spike & ran to get the only 2 items that would help me bag this giant. A plastic tray & my bait net. Now that i'm watching this it was comical! Finally i was able to put the Crab on its back & the fight was over.

Funny that i brought in my biggest Crab on hook & line during the same month Okuma released their new Crab Snaring Rod. Also i was amazed that i only hooked one of the legs only. By all rights that leg should've broken off with the exerted force that i was putting on it. Shows how big & truly powerful Samoan Crabs are!

I thought it would be nice to gift this catch to our neighbors Carlos & Christine as they always give us extra dessert. Carlos knew it had to "chill out" a day or two in water for purging before eating it. A crab this size would easily fetch +$50 at Tamashiro Market in Kalihi, a well known fish market. Nowadays i either release my catches or i give them away. Not sure on the size, or weight. It was just massive! My most unusual catch this year.

https://youtu.be/p5BNJYHjrOA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Giant Samoan Mud Crab-Cover.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	53978