Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Fulmor tips?

Default Lake Fulmor tips?

Hey guys,

Just came up here for the first time and never heard of Fulmor until a few days ago lol. Any suggestions on how to best fish it these days? They just planted a stock and we struck out. I was using power eggs (orange/clear glitter magnum and pink/clear glitter magnum eggs as well as red head/white tail micetails and glitter magnum eggs) at first with a shorter leader at the south end of the lake near the road. A lot of weeds there but it did look like fish were on the surface. I have no idea what I'm doing with bobber fishing so didn't get rigged up properly for that. A couple guys walked by later and told me to use a longer leader so I did (on the c-rig) but no luck. I was throwing a small 5g gold minnow as well on another light setup but no hits. We moved to several different spots. First tried a few spots near the south end by the road then made our way to a couple spots across from the dock.

Any ideas on how to fish this lake right now? Like what leader lengths and on what type of rig?

Looks like no trout plants have gone in for some time.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishPlants/De...rdino&time=All

Quote Originally Posted by Theos View Post
    Looks like no trout plants have gone in for some time.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishPlants/De...rdino&time=All
    Fulmor is actually Riverside county. Last plant was last week - https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishPlants/De...unty=Riverside. I confirmed that there are trout in there because there were these Chinese dudes hogging the south side of the pier and pulling them in one after the other - They were there before we got there and were still there fishing them out while we were leaving so they've probably fished them all out by now. Apparently they found the school holding close to that side of the pier though. They were using some kind of homemade concoction and my wife briefly picked up "cornstarch" as they were speaking in Chinese with each other. They were running slip bobber rigs with a long leader and whatever that homemade powerbait/dough is that they were using and were pulling them in with long catfishing rods.

These guys were just throwing everything into their buckets and then "releasing" the smaller ones while keeping the bigger ones...of course, they were using a dirty towel to release the smaller ones, so those are likely all as good as dead at this point :(

I was on the other side of the pier and the fish weren't over there but I saw a few jumping here and there. I couldn't get anything to bite though...again. I was throwing *everything* - thomas buoyants, small 5g sinking minnows, trout magnets, a pink/white grub, different colored power eggs, micetails, powerbait all with longer leaders (at least 18-24" if not more) either c-rigged or under a float. I'll probably hit it up tomorrow morning early and see if I can get a few. It would be nice to catch *something* - so far I've skunked.
    Last edited by jplee3; 08-09-2022 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jplee3 View Post
    These guys were just throwing everything into their buckets and then "releasing" the smaller ones while keeping the bigger ones...of course, they were using a dirty towel to release the smaller ones, so those are likely all as good as dead at this point :(
    And this is why we can't have nice things.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    And this is why we can't have nice things.
    Im still irritated by what i saw. I should have called Caltip. I wouldnt be surprised if they didnt have licenses and were poaching....

I went back this AM this time with a tub of mealworms that i brought up and kept forgetting to bring. Got a half dozen bluegill, one small stocker (i threw it back), and a couple dink bass. Saw a lot of fish jumping at the surface. I'm thinking theyre keyed in on insects or something. I bet a water bubble + fly would have worked.... The things i didn't bring lol

Im still irritated by what i saw. I should have called Caltip. I wouldnt be surprised if they didnt have licenses and were poaching....

I went back this AM this time with a tub of mealworms that i brought up and kept forgetting to bring. Got a half dozen bluegill, one small stocker (i threw it back), and a couple dink bass. Saw a lot of fish jumping at the surface. I'm thinking theyre keyed in on insects or something. I bet a water bubble + fly would have worked.... The things i didn't bring lol
    Were the Bluegill and Pumpkinseed still like 3 inches long? They were super stunted when I fished there before. There are bass there, but I don't think there were enough bass to keep the sunfish populations in check.

I and my son caught easy limits of trout a couple of weeks ago.. We did simple carolina with power bait or mice tails. A lot of people do use a worm under bobber for trout. My son all caught some bass on lures

Quote Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
    I and my son caught easy limits of trout a couple of weeks ago.. We did simple carolina with power bait or mice tails. A lot of people do use a worm under bobber for trout. My son all caught some bass on lures
    I wasnt having luck on the c-rig. What length leader? And were you fishing the dock? The guys at the dock were fishing the south side of the dock and close to it - i think the trout hang in that area at least around sunset. I confirmed this by going over there and fishing bread and powerbait under a bobber after they left. I got bit twice but the fish came off. Apparently those guys were making a dough and mixing in fish feed (lol cheats). They also had a couple long tenkara type rods that had no reels... I saw them again last night.
    Last edited by jplee3; 08-11-2022 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    Were the Bluegill and Pumpkinseed still like 3 inches long? They were super stunted when I fished there before. There are bass there, but I don't think there were enough bass to keep the sunfish populations in check.
    They were definitely on the smaller side. I got a juvy bass thay was prob around 6-8" dropshotting a panfish assassin very close to shore though. I saw lots of guys fishing for bass - im sure some were caught but i didnt see. I had all my bass gear but was obsessed with figuring out the trout there for some reason lol

I wasnt having luck on the c-rig. What length leader? And were you fishing the dock? The guys at the dock were fishing the south side of the dock and close to it - i think the trout hang in that area at least around sunset. I confirmed this by going over there and fishing bread and powerbait under a bobber after they left. I got bit twice but the fish came off. Apparently those guys were making a dough and mixing in fish feed (lol cheats). They also had a couple long tenkara type rods that had no reels... I saw them again last night.

The docks were to crowded so we fished to the left of the docks if you are facing the dock. I always did well at that spot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast