Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Summer Pudd 2022

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    I take it you never heard about Ralph B. Park in Buena Park???? It's a tiny Regional Park that's had Catch and Release only on LMB for over 30 years! It's work out just fine, without any serious enforcement efforts at all! (for many different reasons)
    ETucks, is this or was that an actual regulation? As in, was it ever specifically stated in https://wildlife.ca.gov/Regulations ?

I know Barrett is specifically listed:

Because at MY local pond, there are some bass anglers that straight up lie to the other anglers in saying that all bass are catch and release, and that you'll get a ticket if you keep one. It's a great way to maintain an already low population of bass in there, but if any angler wanted to take 5 fish, 12" and over, they are legally allowed to do so. The myth of bass being C&R at local ponds has been disseminated for years even when I was a kid growing up and I'm ok with it, but it's not an actual DFW regulation, but more a suggestion made by the local anglers, that has ultimately morphed into de facto law.

Kinda like when your parents said they'd get a ticket if you turned on the interior light in the car while they were driving.

Or the signs at Peck Road that say the fish have mercury and you're not supposed to take them. Merely a suggestion, not an actual law.

And as a previous poster said, the main issue is the population density of Southern California. And that's not getting fixed anytime soon. You never realize this until you travel cross country across the South and you bring 1 spinning rod, 2 packs of 2/0 EWG hooks, and 2 packs of Senkos, and proceed to catch fish in every state, by just driving up to a local pond or reservoir, finding some structure, and making some casts.

Or if you ever fly fished Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, et. al. You come back home with that bitter sweet feeling, knowing that California can never have these types of fisheries.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    ETucks, is this or was that an actual regulation? As in, was it ever specifically stated in https://wildlife.ca.gov/Regulations ?

Because at MY local pond, there are some bass anglers that straight up lie to the other anglers in saying that all bass are catch and release, and that you'll get a ticket if you keep one. It's a great way to maintain an already low population of bass in there, but if any angler wanted to take 5 fish, 12" and over, they are legally allowed to do so. The myth of bass being C&R at local ponds has been disseminated for years even when I was a kid growing up and I'm ok with it, but it's not an actual DFW regulation, but more a suggestion made by the local anglers, that has ultimately morphed into de facto law.

Kinda like when your parents said they'd get a ticket if you turned on the interior light in the car while they were driving.

Or the signs at Peck Road that say the fish have mercury and you're not supposed to take them. Merely a suggestion, not an actual law.

And as a previous poster said, the main issue is the population density of Southern California. And that's not getting fixed anytime soon. You never realize this until you travel cross country across the South and you bring 1 spinning rod, 2 packs of 2/0 EWG hooks, and 2 packs of Senkos, and proceed to catch fish in every state, by just driving up to a local pond or reservoir, finding some structure, and making some casts.

Or if you ever fly fished Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, et. al. You come back home with that bitter sweet feeling, knowing that California can never have these types of fisheries.
    Yup just to many rats �� in the cage and they keep coming.

I have encountered those kinds of lies several times. Sometimes they will say that a particular kind of fish is no good to eat (when I know better). More often, they will say that it is catch and release only when I know that it is not. Sometimes, I just overheard people saying that to more novice fisher people. The worst offenders are fishing guides, and they are most likely to say that it is catch and release when it is not, in fact in states such as Colorado or Wyoming, in my experience. I think they think they need to catch the same fish over and over again in order to have a job.

I'm guessing it is a county rule? I have seen the signs at Ralph B Clark like Etucker said, but I don't know how strictly enforce it is. An image I found of the sign. Up to you all to interpret it.

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/ralp...3G1yO2-CNHCvkg

https://library.municode.com/ca/oran...T3PA_S2-5-63FI
    Last edited by LocalParksGuy; 07-25-2022 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LocalParksGuy View Post
    I'm guessing it is a county rule? I have seen the signs at Ralph B Clark like Etucker said, but I don't know how strictly enforce it is. An image I found of the sign. Up to you all to interpret it.

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/ralp...3G1yO2-CNHCvkg

https://library.municode.com/ca/oran...T3PA_S2-5-63FI
    I've fished Ralph B. hundreds of times over the last 20 years. In that 20 years I've only seen any rule breakers maybe 3 times in 700 outings there! (that's counting all the rules spelled out in the links provided) So fear not just from authority figures who patrol there. But vigilante justice from fellow fishermen, keep that place on the straight and narrow when it comes to following the fishing rules there. (except for the 1 pole limit)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12