Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Sickle Bait Holder Hooks For My CHL Grubs! All C&R!

Default Sickle Bait Holder Hooks For My CHL Grubs! All C&R!

All Brands of Sickle Bait Holder Hooks Have Done Well For Grubs! I Use CHL Grubs!

After years of trying all brands of hooks with sickles for grubs to bait i've found these "type" of fishing hooks to be extremely effective. The only negative aspects are the wire thickness, or lack of it. I've had larger species like Rays to Sharks actually snap the hook when kicking. The thickness & shape of the hook wasn't meant for larger more powerful species.

Don't get me wrong. They're more of a light-medium finesse type of hook & for spin casting it's hard to beat. But for surf casting the wire gauge isn't thick enough to handle powerful fighters over 10lb unless you really play them out. But depends on the species you're targeting. For surf casting Sea Perch it's perfect. For Drums, Strippers to large Jacks i wouldn't use the smaller lengths & thicknesses.

I whip for reef species mostly day & night. Because of the shank barbs, known as "sickles" my grubs to cut baits are secured & rarely slips off the hook. I use the smaller sickle hooks with plastic strips to secure my live baits for surf casting. I've found the Mustad Bait Holder-Sliced Shank styled size 6-8 perfect for this.

https://youtu.be/pxbHeD1xods
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sickle Hook-Cover.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	53768