Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Crappy

Default Crappy

It was due to happen. Made my 2 hour trek back to my Crappie Honey Hole at Cachuma Lake yesterday. The day started off rocky. No rental boats available. They were holding their annual trout derby for the 1st time in 3 years because of Covid. Had to wait a while for people who reserved a boat to finally cancel their reservation. Me and my fishing buddy did a little good will work helping a young lady who was by herself put line on her saltwater rod/reel with a desire to win some money by catching a trout. Finally got on the water around 10:45AM. Everything was different at my Crappie honey hole. The wind was blowing in a different direction. The water was more stained than my past 3 trips to the lake. The spot had become my Crappy Honey Hole. Not one Crappie bite after fishing 5 or 6 other spots that had produced the past 3 weeks. I did catch 2 bass and 2 smallmouth bass. Those smallmouth put up a great fight for their size. Much like a bluegill. Well that's fishing. Humbled again just when you think you have everything dialed in. That's why I keep going. Simply Put " The Chance at Redemption"!

Tight Lines

Quote Originally Posted by chatmar View Post
    It was due to happen. Made my 2 hour trek back to my Crappie Honey Hole at Cachuma Lake yesterday. The day started off rocky. No rental boats available. They were holding their annual trout derby for the 1st time in 3 years because of Covid. Had to wait a while for people who reserved a boat to finally cancel their reservation. Me and my fishing buddy did a little good will work helping a young lady who was by herself put line on her saltwater rod/reel with a desire to win some money by catching a trout. Finally got on the water around 10:45AM. Everything was different at my Crappie honey hole. The wind was blowing in a different direction. The water was more stained than my past 3 trips to the lake. The spot had become my Crappy Honey Hole. Not one Crappie bite after fishing 5 or 6 other spots that had produced the past 3 weeks. I did catch 2 bass and 2 smallmouth bass. Those smallmouth put up a great fight for their size. Much like a bluegill. Well that's fishing. Humbled again just when you think you have everything dialed in. That's why I keep going. Simply Put " The Chance at Redemption"!

Tight Lines
    Let this be a learning experience, weather/lunar conditions play a role in angling. The fish were feeding actively in anticipation of the storm we had blow through, and possibly the full moon we had recently.

Chatmar whats going on bro...That stringer looks good man how often do you go up to Cachuma? I've been wanting to do some crappie fishing and working to build my crappie arsenal.. haven't had any luck in my past trips to local waterways... DVL, Perris, Skinner ... I've never driven that far out tho to get to Cachuma and don't own my own boat so would have to rent...

Quote Originally Posted by CAHogCaller View Post
    Chatmar whats going on bro...That stringer looks good man how often do you go up to Cachuma? I've been wanting to do some crappie fishing and working to build my crappie arsenal.. haven't had any luck in my past trips to local waterways... DVL, Perris, Skinner ... I've never driven that far out tho to get to Cachuma and don't own my own boat so would have to rent...
    CAHogCaller,

The lakes you visited aren't know for producing lots of Crappie. I normally use a 2 hour drive time as my exceptable distance to drive this time of year. Lakes like Cachuma, Hodges, Henshaw, Wohlford and El Captain are best bets. Weather plays a big part in determining which lake I go to. I only rent boats like you. Send me a private message and I will let you know about a lake that produced 17 Crappie for my buddy this past Saturday. This is where I plan to go this weekend. Remember one day you can find them and catching is easy. The next day you can't even get one bite.

Quote Originally Posted by CAHogCaller View Post
    Sir,

Just got some pictures of some nice Crappie stringers caught today from some of my buddies. Gonna hit that lake up tomorrow. Send me a PM tomorrow evening and I will let you know how I did.