Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The sierra phantom?

Default The sierra phantom?

Anybody heard of him? Hes a old man who lives in bishop at pleasent valley resevoir and claims to hold the record for every trout species in the sierras.He also sales fancy bobbers that look like christmas decorations.Anybody know who i`m talking about?

Anyone who has been to the Sierras enough, probably knows who the Phantom is. Ive met him a couple times, and bought his glitter flies. He is quite the story teller, and an amazing guy if you ask me. Im sure he stretches the truth about things, but thats just him.

I posted this on another thread when someone mentioned him......but Ill do it again for ya.....might give ya a little insight on the man.

http://ovtomatohead.blogspot.com/200...a-phantom.html

BF69

Yea that old fart has been hit by cars trying to cross 395 a few times and is still around to tell about it !! You can find him drinking coffee in front of some of the local hangs..

He is a unique person . He makes the sierras a more interesting place

Default Are you kidding???

" A week later, he says that he walked from Bishop to South Lake and back to go fishing. "

If anyone has made the drive from Bishop to South Lake, you know that that is a long arse drive. Dude is legend status just for walking it just so he can go fishing. I guess Intake 2 or the creek was just not good enough for him. lol. If it was me, I would have hitch hiked or layed in the middle of the road and pretended I sprained my ankle or something until someone stopped so they could give me a lift up to the lake.
    Last edited by daveg456; 12-14-2008 at 08:34 AM.

I know Phantom well because his favorite lake to fish is South Lake, where we own the landing. He is an exceptional story teller and has an even more exceptional imagination.

My top 5 all time favorite stories he's told me....I could probably do a top 20 list but I'll leave that to your imaginations. And yes folks, he really has told these whoppers...I've heard them.

1. He taught Olympic Gold Medalist Peggy Flemming how to ice skate on South Lake.
    2. He lived out behind South Lake many a winter - his pet Bear and pet Mountain Lion would sit with him at the campfire to protect him.
    3. One time, during a freak August snowstorm which dumped 8ft of snow, he singlehandedly saved 500 people that were camped at the back of South Lake from certain death by hiking them and their gear to safety.
    4. He gets calls from weather authorities from as far away as Australia because he's the only one who can predict what the weather will be like 6 months from now.
    5. He holds every world record for every freshwater game fish in North America.

He is one tough old guy - but I have yet to see him walk to South Lake in the last three years. He always gets a ride up the hill and then thumbs his way down to Bishop or rides his bike down the hill. Also, despite his amazing glitter flies - he fishes with nightcrawlers.

Good times,
    Smitty
    Last edited by Sierra_Smitty; 12-20-2008 at 08:39 AM.

Smitty,would you clarify your statement of Owning South Lake, do you mean you own resort and not the lake itself. Just curious as to what you meant by owning the lake.

a big story teller. I hold the crappie records in antartica
    Last edited by chivo; 12-14-2008 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by retired96 View Post
    Smitty,would you clarify your statement of Owning South Lake, do you mean you own resort and not the lake itself. Just curious as to what you meant by owning the lake.
    We own the marina and the right to do business at the lake (boats, docks, boat shack etc). Socal Edison technically owns the rights to the water. The USFS owns the surrounding land and technically the lake bottom.
    Last edited by Sierra_Smitty; 12-14-2008 at 10:07 PM.

sierra phantom once saved 72 people from the back of south lake carrying them out one by one on his back in the middle of a snow storm. he also caught a 60 lb locklaven brown out of long lake and it took him 3 days to hike it out.

sierra phantom- aka THE MAN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast