Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Not what i expected

Default Not what i expected

When I stopped by the shore yesterday the conditions looked nice: Almost no swell, clear cool water and anchovies with dolphins and birds going after them. It was so long that I surf fished that I figured wading in a couple of old spots would be at least pleasant and relaxing.
    Well, first spot was just that, except it was filled with sand and no usual holes were present. Raked some grass with my LC and moved to the next.

Second spot had floating vegetation too but on the line between the clean water and the soup a trough produced a small ~18’ hali and a couple of aggressive smelt.

The final spot also changed: most holes were filled uniformly with sand but one new one developed. On the 3d cast into it I had bites but it did not stick. I knew it was in there – and in a minute connected with a nice hali about legal size - I had no plans of keeping it and did not measure and slid it back to the hole. Walked up the beach but did not see any habitat and on the way back tossed LC in the same hole and mid-way felt a heavy pull. Thought it was a big lazy hali or a snagged shark/ray but soon saw silver in the water. Sure enough: once I saw the corbina I got easily convinced to take it home since they usually elude me, are plentiful here and very welcome at dinner time.

Have fun out there!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4180.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	53528