Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Good Job in watching my pole Racer X!!!!

Default Good Job in watching my pole Racer X!!!!

I don't normally write up catching 1 fish and making a Full report out of it. But since fish reports are few and far between now a day's on FNN. What the Heck! In talking to the Ranger a few weeks back, he couldn't guarantee me they wouldn't still drain Irvine Lake dry one day. I did share my plan again with him to save as many fish as possible, if they were to drain it! So at least their is a plausible plan floating around out there! I had a really good summer on catching trophy catfish at Irvine Lake. I ended up catching 11 catfish and Racer X caught 2 Trophy catfish for a total of 13. In catching my 11th Trophy catfish, I hit my goal of 50 Trophy catfish caught in 2 years since they reopened it. Add in my crews count, we hit 100 trophy catfish! Which makes us the most productive crew because we stuck with it for the whole 2 years! Things were just sailing along during the summer time, we were catching 1 or 2 nice catfish almost every time, till others got involved and there went the neighborhood! So I stopped going for the last 6 weeks, choosing to do other kinds of fishing! I came back this week and the up coming weeks because this is a very productive time of the year to catch a big catfish!

On to the fishing

We arrived at the lake a little late, but that's OK because their is nobody there now! We are going to hit 2 spots and see what happens. The first spot was a good one, but it's been so pounding every week, I didn't think we would catch anything there! We didn't and now we are going to go to one of my favorite spots because the Riff Raff doesn't fish it! I got bit on my first cast, so I knew their was some Life there! I thought for sure I would get him on my next casts! (I didn't) Racer X suggested I try this cove behind us! We never caught anything there before, but it is that time of year! Racer X wanted to fish where I got the first bit and I threw my pole behind me. The only problem was, I couldn't see the pole where my chair was set up! I could see Racer X's pole and he could see mine! (that should work) I use a circle hook on that pole, so the catfish just hooks himself! After having a good conversation with Racer X and he was also looking things up on the Internet for us. I thought I would check my bait after a good long soak. Low and behold my pole is bent in half and a big catfish is flopping on the surface 50 yards out! Way to go Racer X!!! How could you not see that???? The catfish barely even fought much, "he was too tired from fighting against the pole for so long!" I thought he was good size but I wasn't that sure! When he came in close, he was really nice with a big head and a scare there too! We weighed him and he was exactly at 14 pounds! So it ended up being a productive day after all! I'm going to be hitting the lake for the next 4 weeks, but unless I get something over 20 pounds, I won't writing any reports on it! After that it's trout season and I can't wait for that! Till then, good luck to everyone who goes fishing!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 10-23-2021 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    I don't normally write up catching 1 fish and making a Full report out of it. But since fish reports are few and far between now a day's on FNN. What the Heck! In talking to the Ranger a few weeks back, he couldn't guarantee me they wouldn't still drain Irvine Lake dry one day. I did share my plan again with him to save as many fish as possible, if they were to drain it! So at least their is a plausible plan floating around out there! I had a really good summer on catching trophy catfish at Irvine Lake. I ended up catching 11 catfish and Racer X caught 2 Trophy catfish for a total of 13. In catching my 11th Trophy catfish, I hit my goal of 50 Trophy catfish caught in 2 years since they reopened it. Add in my crews count, we hit 100 trophy catfish! Which makes us the most productive crew because we stuck with it for the whole 2 years! Things were just sailing along during the summer time, we were catching 1 or 2 nice catfish almost every time, till others got involved and there went the neighborhood! So I stopped going for the last 6 weeks, choosing to do other kinds of fishing! I came back this week and the up coming weeks because this is a very productive time of the year to catch a big catfish!

On to the fishing

We arrived at the lake a little late, but that's OK because their is nobody there now! We are going to hit 2 spots and see what happens. The first spot was a good one, but it's been so pounding every week, I didn't think we would catch anything there! We didn't and now we are going to go to one of my favorite spots because the Riff Raff doesn't fish it! I got bit on my first cast, so I knew their was some Life there! I thought for sure I would get him on my next casts! (I didn't) Racer X suggested I try this cove behind us! We never caught anything there before, but it is that time of year! Racer X wanted to fish where I got the first bit and I threw my pole behind me. The only problem was, I couldn't see the pole where my chair was set up! I could see Racer X's pole and he could see mine! (that should work) I use a circle hook on that pole, so the catfish just hooks himself! After having a good conversation with Racer X and he was also looking things up on the Internet for us. I thought I would check my bait after a good long soak. Low and behold my pole is bent in half and a big catfish is flopping on the surface 50 yards out! Way to go Racer X!!! How could you not see that???? The catfish barely even fought much, "he was too tired from fighting against the pole for so long!" I thought he was good size but I wasn't that sure! When he came in close, he was really nice with a big head and a scare there too! We weighed him and he was exactly at 14 pounds! So it ended up being a productive day after all! I'm going to be hitting the lake for the next 4 weeks, but unless I get something over 20 pounds, I won't writing any reports on it! After that it's trout season and I can't wait for that! Till then, good luck to everyone who goes fishing!

Always good reading, E Tucker! Thanks for keeping us abreast on things!