Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Skunked! At ol Irvine 10/30

Default Skunked! At ol Irvine 10/30

Went fishing at Irvine Lake with my girlfriend. I haven't fished in 2 months or so. The lake definitely filled up and looked better than it did since Spring or longer. It was super foggy that morning and the fog didn't disappear until 9 or 9:30 PM. We checked out the East shore for a quick 10 minutes before spending 90% of our time at the West shore. I threw the buzzbait hoping that the noise would attract some bass in the dense fog, also had on a fat IKA, and My girlfriend threw an underspin Keitech. We didn't have much luck and skunked. It didn't seem like much people were catching either when we went back and forth. Probably wait for Trout season now to hit the local parks!

Sorry about the skunk,but still nice to get out and wet a line,thanks for the report!

Cya Tuna Vic

Quote Originally Posted by LocalParksGuy View Post
    Went fishing at Irvine Lake with my girlfriend. I haven't fished in 2 months or so. The lake definitely filled up and looked better than it did since Spring or longer. It was super foggy that morning and the fog didn't disappear until 9 or 9:30 PM. We checked out the East shore for a quick 10 minutes before spending 90% of our time at the West shore. I threw the buzzbait hoping that the noise would attract some bass in the dense fog, also had on a fat IKA, and My girlfriend threw an underspin Keitech. We didn't have much luck and skunked. It didn't seem like much people were catching either when we went back and forth. Probably wait for Trout season now to hit the local parks!
    Went to Irvine this past Saturday. Caught 8 Catfish and 3 bass. Each bass I caught was between 3-5 pounds. Currently at Irvine the traditional bass fishing techniques aren't working even for very good bass fisherman. My bass were all caught on cut bait. I also saw 5 other bass caught by fishermen next to me using cut bait. I was also fishing on the West Shore. If the water keeps rising on the West Shore over the next couple of weeks fishermen will need to bring a heavy duty weed wacker to get close to the water for those trout. Hope this helps.

I also saw a 16 pound catfish caught by my buddy next to me. He is an avid and excellent bass fisherman. Since the bass weren't responding he asked me for a piece of cut bait and 15 minutes later he was on that nice catfish. LOL for me.

Default shore line fishing @ Irvine

Quote Originally Posted by chatmar View Post
    Went to Irvine this past Saturday. Caught 8 Catfish and 3 bass. Each bass I caught was between 3-5 pounds. Currently at Irvine the traditional bass fishing techniques aren't working even for very good bass fisherman. My bass were all caught on cut bait. I also saw 5 other bass caught by fishermen next to me using cut bait. I was also fishing on the West Shore. If the water keeps rising on the West Shore over the next couple of weeks fishermen will need to bring a heavy duty weed wacker to get close to the water for those trout. Hope this helps.

I also saw a 16 pound catfish caught by my buddy next to me. He is an avid and excellent bass fisherman. Since the bass weren't responding he asked me for a piece of cut bait and 15 minutes later he was on that nice catfish. LOL for me.
    I haven't been to Irvine for a month. From the sounds of it, they must be pumping water in and if true, you are right, where will be able to fish for trout? The banks are loaded with 5 feet brush or if we had to cast into it we would be snagged every time. Do you think the banks will be cleared?

Quote Originally Posted by Limit Time View Post
    I haven't been to Irvine for a month. From the sounds of it, they must be pumping water in and if true, you are right, where will be able to fish for trout? The banks are loaded with 5 feet brush or if we had to cast into it we would be snagged every time. Do you think the banks will be cleared?
    Nope to the banks being cleared! I was there twice this past weekend and spoke to several people. It's going to get real ugly with dead trout snagged in the brush 10 feet from shore! Their is a few pockets here and there on the West shore where you can pull a trout through it. But those spots will go real fast in the mornings!

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Nope to the banks being cleared! I was there twice this past weekend and spoke to several people. It's going to get real ugly with dead trout snagged in the brush 10 feet from shore! Their is a few pockets here and there on the West shore where you can pull a trout through it. But those spots will go real fast in the mornings!
    Thanks for the 411 Etucker. That is a real bummer. Are the slots in the middle or towards the boat dock?

Quote Originally Posted by Limit Time View Post
    Thanks for the 411 Etucker. That is a real bummer. Are the slots in the middle or towards the boat dock?
    Last year all of the West shore was good for Trout! This year the area is even smaller, "so it should all be real good!" So just fish any where their isn't a patch of weeds in front of you. With that being said, "their is open spots by the Boat dock all the way till it curves up going right." They it's no Bueno till you get to the point where the old Launch ramp used to be. That area is open a 150 feet Left and Right of the Launch ramp. (that's probably going to be the most popular spot during trout season. Then it gets weedy again to the right for another 200 feet and then it opens up again, till about the end of the Lake! I hope that gives you an idea of where you can fish for trout.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 11-10-2021 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Last year all of the West shore was good for Trout! This year the area is even smaller, "so it should all be real good!" So just fish any where their isn't a patch of weeds in front of you. With that being said, "their is open spots by the Boat dock all the way till it curves up going right." They it's no Bueno till you get to the point where the old Launch ramp used to be. That area is open a 150 feet Left and Right of the Launch ramp. (that's probably going to be the most popular spot during trout season. Then it gets weedy again to the right for another 200 feet and then it opens up again, till about the end of the Lake! I hope that gives you an idea of where you can fish for trout.
    Thanks - Etucker...Will be seeing you at the lake! Tightlines!