Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Cove Life Relies on Baitfish!

Default Cove Life Relies on Baitfish!

Absence of Baitfish Means The Cove is Dying!

I've been fishing here for years trying out new equipment. This past year there's an absence of fish. I used to throw back Jacks to Bonefish. Not even the bait stealing Burrfish are absent. A few months ago i met a marine biologist who wanted to talk with me. He said their Dept started placing bags of activated charcoal in this cove & a few others in an attempt to lower pollutant levels.

I told him those bags changed the water. I suggested checking the dissolved O2 levels as hardly any sizeable fish are remaining. Once you cut off the food source, the predators go elsewhere. I showed him years of pics and vids of this place on my phone. After viewing this he said nothing and left. I went whipping on the last day of Sept to test out a UL rig. Not even troublesome cudas were around.

At the end of the day i throw in my squid bait. Normally the blue pincher crabs make short work of it. Not a single one. It really looks like a desert now thanks to these researchers. I did see a few mullets jumping. UW vids shows higher siltation than normal. Even Acorn Worms, the sign of low O2 and pollutants were gone. They're all over in Pearl Harbor & were here for years but they disappear in this cove this year as well.

https://youtu.be/7F8Q8KoJmgs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	No Baitfish.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	53438