Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: What is a Sabiki Rig?

Default What is a Sabiki Rig?

Sabiki Means "Bait Catching Rig" in Japan!

Sabiki "Ultra-Point" Hook rigs are offered by Mustad. They're pre-rigged & don't need bait or preparation. Attach whatever weight system you prefer, wait till nightfall, go find a pier or hop on a boat, and you're in business. Extremely productive in catching scads to sardines & mackerel! Still being used to this day. Listen to my narrative to fully understand how to fish Mustad's Sabiki Rig!

Ultra Point hooks by Mustad goes through a process that keeps the point sharp through many uses. That sharpness last up to 30% longer than the average hook point.

To use Sabikis use a clip at the end of your mainline & attached the top of the Sabiki to that clip, or hand line. Then attached a lead weight to the bottom by a loop knot or clip. Ta-dah! Sabiki time!

https://youtu.be/qA-t37hcdW8
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sabiki.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	53416  

A sabiki or flasher rig is typically fished off boats, piers, jetties, or any structure over the water. Sabikis consist of any number (usually between 6 and 10) of small hooks, each one on individual dropper lines which are a few inches long. In Japan, they are used to catch sardines and mackerel off large piers.

I've seen someone getting busted by DFG for using a Sabiki to catch shad at Skinner.

I catch mackerels off jetties at night using them. Also drifting at night w/a strong light.