Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: My NEW Budget Popping Rod Reviewed!

Default My NEW Budget Popping Rod Reviewed!

I'm Using My NEW 9'6" Surf Rod As My NEW Popping Rod! Feels Great & a Great Price Too!

I recently started receiving 2021 releases because of looser COVID19 restraints (and it clamped down again). Today was Friday the 13th. I was reluctant but i still went out. I wanted to share what i felt was an economic budget combo of Okuma's Rockaway HD 9'6" Surf Rod coupled with the Rockaway RA-6000 Long Distance Spinning Reel. I wasn't sure if the pairing would be a success, but it was.

Years back i made a video on my favorite length of popping/plugging rods. 10ft. I used to use 1-1/4oz & 1-1/2oz more than any other weights. But with the advancements in technology i've found i can use slightly heavier lures and shorter rod lengths to achieve the same results w/no aching shoulders. The combo i used today is roughly 50% of the cost of an average popping/plugging rig.

The equipment of today is far advanced from 7yrs ago. In most cases lighter & stronger. Not always cheaper but some are if you know the market. These 2 recommended items are inexpensive compared to similar offered items. But not inferior. If you see me in the field still using this combo then you know it was for real.

https://youtu.be/Jl8XTIE5b_A
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Budget Popping.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	53376