Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Afghanistan

  1. #1

    Default Afghanistan

    What say ye', geopolitical experts of FNN's General Discussion?

    Bonus points if you allude to the CIA contributing to the Taliban's inception.


  2. #2

    Default

    I say that the United States has had no good options in Afghanistan. The occupation has been exceptionally long and costly in human, cultural and financial terms, and it was destined to come to a bad end. The U.S. should have never sent its troops there in the first place, in my opinion. Now, at least we are getting out of there, which I think is a good thing and most Americans agree with that when polled. The Taliban takeover has been with little opposition or bloodshed, which gives me some hope that they will moderate their behavior and perhaps even learn to tolerate the fact that not everyone agrees with their strict Islamic set of rules and sexist ideology.
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 08-17-2021 at 11:36 AM.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    I say that the United States has had no good options in Afghanistan. The occupation has been exceptionally long and costly in human, cultural and financial terms, and it was destined to come to a bad end. The U.S. should have never sent its troops there in the first place, in my opinion. Now, at least we are getting out of there, which I think is a good thing and most Americans agree with that when polled. The Taliban takeover has been with little opposition or bloodshed, which gives me some hope that they will moderate their behavior and perhaps even learn to tolerate the fact that not everyone agrees with their strict Islamic set of rules and sexist ideology.
    NatLeft,

    What's up with the Republican isolationists suddenly becoming humanitarians? The ones who said, "Who cares about other countries, AMERICA FIRST!" are suddenly concerned about other nations?

    They couldn't care about the rights of women at home, but are suddenly concerned with rights of women abroad?

    Quite a pickle they're in.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    NatLeft,

    What's up with the Republican isolationists suddenly becoming humanitarians? The ones who said, "Who cares about other countries, AMERICA FIRST!" are suddenly concerned about other nations?

    They couldn't care about the rights of women at home, but are suddenly concerned with rights of women abroad?

    Quite a pickle they're in.
    And Trump negotiated with terrorists, the Taliban, which Republicans are not supposed to do, and gave them legitimacy. In fact, he negotiated with them instead of the Afghan government, which was supposed to be the legal government of that nation. Biden is simply carrying through with Trump's withdrawal plan, so how is it now such a horrible thing? They handed power off to the Taliban, and now they are suddenly worried about the rights of women in Afghanistan. Republicans don't know how to spin this. There really isn't any way to make the Democrats look bad without making themselves look bad too.

    The Taliban claim that they will not violate women's rights, but they are not very credible given their track record. Hopefully, they will have some kind of "revelation from God," and decide to treat women with respect and give them far more rights than in the past.

  5. #5

    Default

    don't forget the bbci and Hamid Gul cornerstones in it's history

    great fishing in afghanistan you catfish killers would have had great fun

    many lakes got stocked with trout a few years before i first went there in 1968

    when going from kabul north to mazar you would have to go through the solang pass lots of lakes and rivers

    filled with fish

    it was a kingdom back then
    but still the same system as today

    total corruption everything based on baksheesh

    God
    family

    and tribe in that order

    and tribal feuds were the worst

    never hard to find people that had been fighting each other for millenniums over a rock


    one day i'll post about inshore fishing off the karachi coast an offshore between the west indian border and karachi area going south to dubia

    i can tell you there wasn't much pressure

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    What say ye', geopolitical experts of FNN's General Discussion?

    Bonus points if you allude to the CIA contributing to the Taliban's inception.

    Precious metals mainly lithium. Thatís why we were there. Even before 9/11. We gave them the weapons to fight and they failed. They are on there own now. China will move in now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C387B46B-AF1F-4CB8-962F-75BB5162FFF2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	53367  

  7. #7

    Default

    Sounds like the Hatfields and McCoys, Capoisok.

  8. #8

    Default

    you don't think it has to do with it's location sandwiched between iran and pakistan .with russia to the north do you chuck

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    Sounds like the Hatfields and McCoys, Capoisok.
    when i first went there outside of major city's they never saw a american

    no tv one am radio station in the kingdom
    other than that it was tickertape and shortwave

    no nation has conquered them in 600 few before then

    and the reality is there is no afghan nation only autonomous area's made up of tribes with allegiance only to themselves

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by capoisok View Post
    when i first went there outside of major city's they never saw a american

    no tv one am radio station in the kingdom
    other than that it was tickertape and shortwave

    no nation has conquered them in 600 few before then

    and the reality is there is no afghan nation only autonomous area's made up of tribes with allegiance only to themselves

    I have heard the same about Afghanistan being a collection of tribes ruled by tribal warlords from several different sources. It will probably continue to be so under the Taliban. The different factions will now be the Taliban's problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •