Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Mud Hole @ Irvine and More

Default Mud Hole @ Irvine and More

This is going to be two separate reports in one post.

8/07 Irvine Lake

Woke up early and waited for my friend to come fish with me. He wanted me to teach him how to fish and where else to go but Irvine Lake where you don't need a fishing license. Well comes 6:30 AM, and no answer from him. I knew he was asleep, especially how the messenger app said he was last online 4 hours ago, so he would have been awake at 2:30 AM still. I arrive at the lake after they open, I didn't feel like racing people to the boat dock but this time I wanted to explore the right side of the lake (East Side I believe) and plus it was perfect weather that day. Not too hot, cloudy and foggy in the morning. Afternoon it got sunny but bearable compared to the other weeks.

Anyways, I make to the right side and start exploring around. I saw 1 guy caught right away as I got there. I tossed around the chatterbait but nothing. I kept moving along the shore and it got pretty steep the more right you head but less people. I skipped back pond.

This is where I messed up hard.... I saw a "dry" dirt flat where there was some cracks in the dirt. In reality the dirt flat was wet below. I was going to walk through it thinking it was a shortcut. The second I took a step. My foot sank ankle deep. I should have turned back right there. Instead my brain processed that I could Naruto/Ninja run this and get out. Well I run 4 or 5 more steps. At first I thought it was working, I must be light or fast enough but by step 5/6 I have fully sanked it. I was waist deep in mud. I throw my 2 fishing rods back on land the best I could. I then take off my backpack and toss it on land too. I pull myself out. All muddy and gunky now. As I crawl back to land, my shoes were stuck and I had to pull them out too and toss them. I was a mess. I try to wipe off the mud but it wouldn't come off. I finally decide to walk the shoreline and wash myself and my gear in the water with the best of my ability. It was horrible and I was a mess waist down. I contemplated that I should just go home but nahh I was gonna stick it out and let the sun dry me out. I came out here to fish.

I saw more people catching, some guys/groups were on fire. I finally landed 1 bass on a weightless texas rigged senko. It gave a good fight but not a biggie about 2.5 lbs. I fished probably from 7:30 to 11:45 AM. Luckily by the time I got back to the car, I was relatively dry and didn't leave any stains on my seats luckily.

8/08 Puddingstone Reservoir

Girlfriend and I came to fish but to be honest we wanted to try a Japanese BBQ restaurant nearby. So we skunked here and then headed to eat some good foods. Only saw 1 guy on a boat catch. We threw underspin, senko, buzzbait while it was still foggy and not much sun, drop shot roboworm, spinnerbait, but got nothing. Fished from 7 AM to 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LocalParksGuy View Post
    This is going to be two separate reports in one post.

8/07 Irvine Lake

Woke up early and waited for my friend to come fish with me. He wanted me to teach him how to fish and where else to go but Irvine Lake where you don't need a fishing license. Well comes 6:30 AM, and no answer from him. I knew he was asleep, especially how the messenger app said he was last online 4 hours ago, so he would have been awake at 2:30 AM still. I arrive at the lake after they open, I didn't feel like racing people to the boat dock but this time I wanted to explore the right side of the lake (East Side I believe) and plus it was perfect weather that day. Not too hot, cloudy and foggy in the morning. Afternoon it got sunny but bearable compared to the other weeks.

Anyways, I make to the right side and start exploring around. I saw 1 guy caught right away as I got there. I tossed around the chatterbait but nothing. I kept moving along the shore and it got pretty steep the more right you head but less people. I skipped back pond.

This is where I messed up hard.... I saw a "dry" dirt flat where there was some cracks in the dirt. In reality the dirt flat was wet below. I was going to walk through it thinking it was a shortcut. The second I took a step. My foot sank ankle deep. I should have turned back right there. Instead my brain processed that I could Naruto/Ninja run this and get out. Well I run 4 or 5 more steps. At first I thought it was working, I must be light or fast enough but by step 5/6 I have fully sanked it. I was waist deep in mud. I throw my 2 fishing rods back on land the best I could. I then take off my backpack and toss it on land too. I pull myself out. All muddy and gunky now. As I crawl back to land, my shoes were stuck and I had to pull them out too and toss them. I was a mess. I try to wipe off the mud but it wouldn't come off. I finally decide to walk the shoreline and wash myself and my gear in the water with the best of my ability. It was horrible and I was a mess waist down. I contemplated that I should just go home but nahh I was gonna stick it out and let the sun dry me out. I came out here to fish.

I saw more people catching, some guys/groups were on fire. I finally landed 1 bass on a weightless texas rigged senko. It gave a good fight but not a biggie about 2.5 lbs. I fished probably from 7:30 to 11:45 AM. Luckily by the time I got back to the car, I was relatively dry and didn't leave any stains on my seats luckily.

8/08 Puddingstone Reservoir

Girlfriend and I came to fish but to be honest we wanted to try a Japanese BBQ restaurant nearby. So we skunked here and then headed to eat some good foods. Only saw 1 guy on a boat catch. We threw underspin, senko, buzzbait while it was still foggy and not much sun, drop shot roboworm, spinnerbait, but got nothing. Fished from 7 AM to 10:50 AM.
    Been there done that in the Mud in the East end of the Lake! I haven't sunk down to my waist before, just to the knee caps. For those who haven't had their survival training and that happens to you. The trick to get out of the really deep stuff is to get down on all 4's and crawl your way out. (it redistributes your weight and that's why it works!)

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Been there done that in the Mud in the East end of the Lake! I haven't sunk down to my waist before, just to the knee caps. For those who haven't had their survival training and that happens to you. The trick to get out of the really deep stuff is to get down on all 4's and crawl your way out. (it redistributes your weight and that's why it works!)
    Haha, I had to remember all those survival tv shows I watched as kid growing up from Survivorman to Bear Grylls. Whats dangerous was the part I got sucked in was out of view from the others behind some brushes. If I couldnt get help I could have called for help, somebody nearby would have heard me. It's dangerous out there but at least the mud provided some sort of sunblock to my legs. Overall, I had a good time exploring the East side.
    Last edited by LocalParksGuy; 08-09-2021 at 01:15 PM.