Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: I was playing checkers, while the checkereds were playing chess

Default I was playing checkers, while the checkereds were playing chess

Started fishing at 530 am this morning. Spot was calm and felt fishy. Lost an owner ribeye shad swimbait that has been with me for years and caught numerous bass with on my second cast. Heartache set in but it was nothing compared to what was to come. Tie on a zoom magnum fluke in blumb on a .5 oz sled head and get hit immediately. Fish felt good got off as a wave crested. A few more cast and another fish hits. I felt it's power and saw my rod bend in half before another wave forms and my fish gets off. 'Ok' I tell myself, ' the fish are here no problem'. A few more cast and it happens again on the incoming wave, now I am freaking out. I think back and recall lifting my real up in anticipation of the wave regardless of fighting the fish. I fix my error a few cast later as I hook up and land a small calico. I was stoked thanking God for the fish. A few more cast and I get a soft hit with a big pull and my reel starts screaming. I swing and keep low as another wave is coming in. I feel my line go slack pull and feel the fish is on but swimming towards me. I continue to stay low but as the wave reaches its peak I loose my fish. It was a hard day of fishingbut sure was fun. I was standing on top of rocky shallow structure and saw a few good size calicos and other fish with large tails swim into the grass below me. It was truly a sight to see and one I hope to experience again.the morning left me with a new appreciation for Calicos. Often times I hear people talk about the 'stupid fish they caught, and there I was getting outsmarted by what I consider a true predator. Thanks for the read, tight lines.

Rod: Irod Kaimana 7'6 SPINNING
    Reel: Shimano Sienna 4000
    Line: PowerPro 30lb/15lb Trilene Flourocarbon Leader
    Lure: Zoom Magnum Spook (plum) rigged on .5 oz owner sledhead.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210808-105225_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	53343  
    Last edited by efrain; 08-08-2021 at 06:12 PM.

Reading over my post, sorry for typos and other slip ups 😅

Thanks ��������