Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: NP backbay?

Default NP backbay?

Hi there, anyone ever fish here? I am trying to find info on where I can fish. DFG page states between San Joaquin Hills Rd. and Big Canyon but I cannot find it on the map. Also any info on bolsa wetlands? Thanks

Hey efrain,

Yes you can fish at Big Canyon, but it is a little bit of a walk to get to. I personally have never fished there but I have seen DFG signs that allow fishing and seen people fishing there. Google Map search Foundation Gerson Baker and it is west of it about 800 feet to a point that sticks out a bit, you may see Big Canyon pop up on the map from that search. If you are heading from down south to up north and you reach the parking lot then you may have passed the spot. I tried inserting a photo of the map but I don't know if it is popping up.

Some other places I have tried fishing at in Newport is Back Bay Beach, it is a little bit south of North Star Beach/Newport Aquatic Center. I have only fished there once with my girlfriend last year but she caught a 16 inch halibut (her first fish ever) there last year! We threw it back in after and we haven't been back since.

Another location we tried later that day is West Cliff Park, head south and there should be a trail leading you to the beach. I skunked there too :( but saw other fisher people catching fish.

Good luck and let me me know if you have any luck there. I haven't been back since last Summer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fishingmaps.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	53333
    Last edited by LocalParksGuy; 08-01-2021 at 10:13 PM.

Thanks for the info, will try Northstar and report back when I do. The map does pop up btw!

Went out today and fished rocky point(big canyon), Northstar Beach, lower castaways, and checked out jamboree Bridge. No luck at any spot tho I did have a spottie follow my lure at castaways. I casted out a drop shot, swimbait on an owner underpin type hook, and a 3/8oz mega bass dark sleeper swimmer. I went at low tide and will probably be back at highline when I get the chance.

Thanks for the report efrain, I need to get out there again and fish it before summer ends.

I just remembered for the bolsa wetlands they do let you fish it but at the very entrance of it, but I don't think they let you fish in it due to it being a conservancy. There is a DFG sign that I remember seeing last year when I was on a hike that allowed fishing only at that spot that I saw. Park at Warner Ave Entrance and head inside. On the right before the pedestrian bridge (not the Warner Ave bridge) there should be a DFG sign that allows fishing.

I have yet to try Huntington Harbor, but I would like to try that area next.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fishing pic.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	53335

Thanks brother, get out there.

Quote Originally Posted by efrain View Post
    Went out today and fished rocky point(big canyon), Northstar Beach, lower castaways, and checked out jamboree Bridge. No luck at any spot tho I did have a spottie follow my lure at castaways. I casted out a drop shot, swimbait on an owner underpin type hook, and a 3/8oz mega bass dark sleeper swimmer. I went at low tide and will probably be back at highline when I get the chance.
    Sounds like you had an incredible time! Not sure when I can do such...

Great!! Where's the best place to fish now?

Did not catch any, lol.

LOL..

That's too bad.