Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Habitat Restoration at Castaic Lake?

Default Habitat Restoration at Castaic Lake?

As the anglers who fish Castaic can confirm, the draw down project that is occurring to retrofit the intake tower bridges has dropped the lake down significantly.

The project is slated to take 15.5 months to complete. It's dropping the lake 125 or so feet. While cruising around there the other day, there are so many areas that could benefit from the similar project that was done at Perris, during that lake's draw down to retrofit the dam.

https://www.pe.com/2018/07/16/lake-p...fishing-haven/

I see that Kwin was involved in the Lake Perris habitat project. How did that project come about? I'd love to know if this can also be done at Castaic, to take advantage of the water draw down, just like Perris Lake.

I know it won't restore Castaic to its glory days, but it may definitely help the fishery.

I think that's a good idea, although I must say, with Perris Lake being low for around 10 years, there was a lot of natural "habitat restoration" that took place in the form of trees and large bushes growing that were covered up when the lake level was raised again. Now, the lake is very snaggy. I think the state project added to that a little, but not very much. Overall, conditions are better at Perris now, but it's easy to get snagged and I wish they would start stocking trout again.

If they are bringing Castaic down 125 feet, a lot of brush should be growing in that exposed lake bed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    I think that's a good idea, although I must say, with Perris Lake being low for around 10 years, there was a lot of natural "habitat restoration" that took place in the form of trees and large bushes growing that were covered up when the lake level was raised again. Now, the lake is very snaggy. I think the state project added to that a little, but not very much. Overall, conditions are better at Perris now, but it's easy to get snagged and I wish they would start stocking trout again.

If they are bringing Castaic down 125 feet, a lot of brush should be growing in that exposed lake bed as well.
    I for one, love that Perris is now a brush filled jungle.

The only problem with the Castaic draw down is that it won't be as long as Perris' which means that the brush won't have too much time to grow like it did down South.

That is why I was wondering if the DFW has funds allocated for projects like this, or can get grants to assist.

I didn't think that Perris would be drawn down for so long, either, but it was. I think the dam reinforcement project wasn't supposed to take nearly as long as it did, but it was delayed by funding issues. Perhaps the Castaic project will be quicker. If Castaic is being drawn down 125 feet, that is a lot more than Perris was drawn down. I think it was about 40 feet down at Perris, but where I fish is generally less than 40 feet deep at Perris, and thus snags are abundant. The fish like it, so yes, it's a good thing overall.