Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: GVL trout 7/05/21

Default GVL trout 7/05/21

Went up to GVL for the 5th of July. Finally had a day off and went for trout in the morning. Haven't fished for them in a couple years, due to the pandemic. Went to Walmart the night before and bought 1 jar of rainbow powerbait to use with my existing stash of mice-tails and powerballs. Off to the lake. Picked up my cousin early in the morning and get to the lake at 5:25. I see lights in my spot. Oh well. Pull up and an old timer is in the water. He immediately lets us know that he just caught one. 5:30 he's on again while i'm throwing out my all white micetail with garlic smelly. This fish bite before he even got to put the pole all the way in the holder. "What are you using?" I ask. "Rainbow powerbait".. hmmm INTERESTING. I throw out my second pole with rainbow powerbait. FISH on in like 7 minutes. A few minutes later. Another fish on. Soon I ditch the micetail on the first pole and throw on the rainbow powerbait. I notice a few people catching fish. So this POST WEEKEND bite was hot. At 6:45 I was done and caught my 5th. By 7:20 the old timer and my cousin limited. These fish we not big at all. Maybe somebody caught a couple PIGS up there, but I didnt. I tried my hand at bass and crappie by the boats and surprisingly NOTHING.. Oh well. We get out of there early and enjoy the rest of my off day. I will tell you this though. The main difference between this trip and the last time I was up there is $10. It now cost $25 for adults and $15 for kids under 15 years old. Those are close to SARL prices but with a WAY BETTER VIEW. I'll take it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GVL 1.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	53295Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GVL 2.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	53296Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ice chest trout.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	53292Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vaccumed trout.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	53293
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GVL 3.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	53297  
    Last edited by Dores34; 07-08-2021 at 08:22 PM.

Awesome report. I had no idea the GVL trout had red filets like big bear. Especially at this time of year.

Sweet nice job out there glad you had a great day. And thanks for the report from the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp View Post
    Awesome report. I had no idea the GVL trout had red filets like big bear. Especially at this time of year.
    Honestly, I am the opposite of a trout expert. Are the red fillets a good thing or a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dores34 View Post
    Honestly, I am the opposite of a trout expert. Are the red fillets a good thing or a bad thing.
    I'm curious too.

Is it considered better because it 'looks' more like salmon?

Usually Big Bear trout with orange meat taste better because they are holdovers. The ones from other hatcheries have regular white meat. Although during summertime the meat can still get muddy tasting either way.

So maybe these fish are GVL holdovers or planters from the new BBL hatchery. If it's planter trout from Big Bear then it's still cool that their hatchery is up and running. Last year's trout dieoff in the old CA hatcheries was such a big disaster.

The meat color changes if the trout had been eating bugs or crustaceans. Probably freshwater shrimp/scud.

I know in Crowley the trout are orange �� and taste delicious meat is firm not mushy.