Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: second best

Default second best

So the WSB have been consistently showing in overnight boat reports, likely around S. Rosa island. And most of those were booked full for days.
    The alternative was to take my trusty 9 ft longboard to the kelp: maybe a few of those traveled to mainland to eat plastics instead of live squid. That theory war far-fetched. The water was very clear and warm and there were few small anchovies but nobody was eating them.

I hit the outer kelp, big and small patches, between kelp stringers, sandy and rocky interface and after an hour managed just a couple of barely short calicos and a sandy. A party boat tried a few circles and stops and left into deep water. Dolphins came by to pick some bait around and moved on. I started heading back and checked nearshore kelp patch. First cast and my line instantly goes slack on a drop - what a pleasant feeling (unless it is stuck in kelp). Pulled up and the fish was solid but did not fight too hard, only wrapped itself in leaves; i had to get into water and put it on a stringer, it was over 20" and not a skinny kind. My PB calico from few years ago was 26" (released) so this one became a fillet for dinner.

maybe I should bring some squid next time;

have fun out there
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bass june 2021 sized.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	53288  

ghost come in tight on grunion nights

but so does smiley looking to eat anything that's looking to eat grunion

so a skiff might be minimum gear
    can't do better than live squid for the calico's or ghost's
    it's like offering china white to a junkie

nice fish taken the hard way props