Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Any word on the bluegill action at Perris?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Any word on the bluegill action at Perris?

It would be nice when they finally get a rental boat contractor and the marina operational for those of us who don't own a boat. I never have caught too many bluegill from the shore. Sailboat Cove is too shallow. Everytime I go I don't see to many people with fish from shore.

Quote Originally Posted by IE fisherman View Post
    It would be nice when they finally get a rental boat contractor and the marina operational for those of us who don't own a boat. I never have caught too many bluegill from the shore. Sailboat Cove is too shallow. Everytime I go I don't see to many people with fish from shore.
    Is Perris still open? no reports

Perris is open. We were unintentionally there last week, see our Silverwood Lake report. Perris will soon full-service operator, and that service is opening in pieces. We saw what looked like a temporary store last week but did not visit so actual status is not known to me.

Quote Originally Posted by eah View Post
    Perris is open. We were unintentionally there last week, see our Silverwood Lake report. Perris will soon full-service operator, and that service is opening in pieces. We saw what looked like a temporary store last week but did not visit so actual status is not known to me.
    I went there a few weeks ago. At that time, there was no store or any marina facilities at all. The docks were closed off, too. Perhaps they are finally making progress.

Regarding the fishing, I fish from shore, primarily for panfish like Bluegill. In the summer, it mostly seems to be small, juvenile Bluegill that are biting. I didn't have much luck even for the little ones until dusk. Then I went onto the launch ramp docks, which they let people fish from after sunset, and caught several Bluegill, but only one was decent size. I used to catch a lot of Redear sometimes at Perris, but their population seems to have taken a dive in recent years. Perhaps they will recover in the next few years, since the dam repairs have finished and the lake levels have gone back up. However, the lake seemed down about 10 feet last time.

The fishing should be better when the weather starts to cool down in the fall. By the way, I think they still aren't stocking trout there in the winters anymore.

I was there Saturday morning/afternoon on the Bernasconi side near Big Rock.

Was bass fishing from shore and switched to pan fishing.
    Lots of underwater structure and bluegill in that area... caught four on redworms.

And yep, they do not stock trout at Perris anymore.

This was during the height of the spawn a few weeks ago. Average were weighing in at about 1.25 pounds, with the largest being about 1.5.

They're there. You just have to get off the beaten path. ;-)