Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Any word on the bluegill action at Perris?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Since this thread came up again, I think I should mention that I did go to Perris last week, and Bluegills were biting in large quantities although mostly small at the launch ramp, which is normal for this time of year, I think I caught around 20 fish in about 3 hours, mostly using a bobber and fly on one pole, and a redworm on the other pole. Four of them were keepers (like around 7 or 8 inches long), which I took home. Included in the catch were several small, juvenile bass and one 6 inch Redear, which I released. I went there about a month earlier with similar results (including one little Redear also) but the average size was a little smaller then. I mention the Redear because it seems like their population is starting to increase again after crashing when the water level was lower, so that is a good sign. It has still been quite a few years since I have seen any Crappie at Perris, though, and they still are not stocking trout.

Overall, I would rate the Bluegill fishing at Perris as good, and it should be getting even better as we move into the fall.

About the Bluegills in the photos, they look like maybe hybrids between Florida strain Bluegill and Northern strain Bluegill. Bluegill with colors like that are common at Diamond Valley Lake. Real Florida strain Bluegill generally have white and orange tipped fins and a more silvery appearance, but the fish in the photos don't look the same as regular northern strain Bluegill that I catch at a lot of other places.

The marina is still pretty much non operational at this time. I checked there and did not see any store, docks, boats or public access to speak of, aside from walking down the riprap, and for some strange reason, the lake level is lower than it has been these past couple of years. I would think that the state would have enough water to fill Lake Perris if they wanted to.
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 09-09-2023 at 09:59 PM.