Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: My 9'6" HCS Shoreline Plugger & Rockaway 6K Multi-Rig!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default My 9'6" HCS Shoreline Plugger & Rockaway 6K Multi-Rig!

Surf Casting! Jigging! Plugging! Spin Casting! This Rig Does It All!

It's been 2-1/2yr since Okuma sent me the 9'6" HCS Shoreline Plugger (HSP-S-962MA) rod for me to evaluate. Months before John Bretza, Director of Okuma's Product Development handed me a new reel, the Rockaway Surf Spinner (RA-6000) that also needed field testing. By accident i found the 2 items to be completely compatible. Separately these were some serious pieces of gear that had low MSRP's. But together they represented my only multi-purpose rod & reel set-up.

I bait casted from shore day & night to tossing plugs & jigs. The feel was good and the light weight distribution excellent. The tip wasn't stiff during a hook-up & i could feel the fishes head turning. The weight was well distributed. I did make a small suggestion on the earlier prototype that really made it better. Here are the stats-
    Hawaiian Custom Rods
    The 9'6" Shoreline Plugger
    Model# HSP-S-962MA
    Foregrip Length 5-1/2in
    Handle Style "C"
    Line Weight 30-65lbs
    Lure Weight 30-160grams
    Number of Guides 8+Tip
    Product Sections 2-pc
    Reargrip Length 20"
    Rod Length 9'6"
    Rod Power M
    Rod Taper MF
    Weight Oz 11.3oz

I was tickled to be trusted with this combo. That reel was a long distance caster! Line was closely packed alongside each other but no over-lapping. This meant no friction which resulted in the line not rubbing against other whorls when casting. No friction means longer cast distance. John gave no no stats on it, no box, i had to field test it to figure it out myself. What a great learning experience this was. I've put on hundreds of hours on this reel, and rod. It was just by coincidence that i found the 2 to be 100% compatible. What a rig. Couldn't find anything wrong with the reel either. Here's the stats-
    Rockaway Surf Reel (The ONLY reel in this series)
    4BB + 1RB stainless steel bearing system
    Quick-Set anti-reverse roller bearing
    Max drag 26lbs
    5.3:1 gear ratio with 40.9” of line pickup
    Precision machine cut brass pinion gear
    CFR: Cyclonic Flow Rotor technology
    Corrosion resistant frame, sideplate and rotor
    Rigid metal handle design to reduce flex
    Long cast, 2-tone anodized aluminum spool
    ROCKAWAY reels are backed by a 1-year limited warranty

https://youtu.be/0Vlat8iqWPU
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cover.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	53241  
    Last edited by Scuba Chris; 06-14-2021 at 07:16 AM.