Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fish were jumping at Lake Elsinore!

Default Fish were jumping at Lake Elsinore!

As my title said, "I just don't mean the Carp!" Lol Fishing is just combined knowledge piled on top of each other. This trip really started 2 years ago when on an hunch I went to Lake Elsinore. When I was there I started talking to people and they said, "how good the fishing was during their derby's." Derby's really I thought! Yea their is 2 of them real close to each other in June and they stock really good for both of them. Ok I thought and I'll put that on my calendar for next year. Next year was 2020 and the Covid Pandemic, so no derby's anywhere that year. But this year at Elsinore their having their derby's again. So I made my evel plan to go the next week after the first derby. 2 years ago I learned how to fish Launch Pointe area pretty good from shore, so I already knew where to go. If people aren't familiar with Launch Pointe, it's their new facility they put Millions of dollars into building in to a first class operation. It comes with 1 draw back, you have to pay to park and fish there! That help keeps the Riff Raff out because they can fish the North shore in the L 1-5 designated fishing area's for Free.

When we arrived there at their opening time, their was only 1 other fishermen there so I knew we could get a good spot. The Launch Pointe area is just a 100 yard long beach with 2 fishing piers and that's it! But as I said earlier, "I know how to fish it pretty good!" The only guy who was fishing there was one of the big wigs at Lake Elsinore. (he's the guy who bought the fish) He was fishing for Bass and he caught 3 while we were there. He left after only an hour and we had the whole place to ourselves. I had 2 poles, one was a bobber with shrimp and the other was a fly line with cut sardines. It's really snaggy there, so your going to lose gear. (that's why fly lining makes sense) As soon as our baits hit the water, we were attacked by the little wipers. They are a cross bred fish between a white bass and a striper. They have to be 18 inches to keep, so they are all way to short to keep. Racer X made the terrible decision, since he thought all his bites were just small wipers to not take them very seriously. He got bit and half butt set the hook on a big fish! I hear a big splash to the left of me and look over at Racer X fighting a big fish. Then all of a sudden his line goes slack and he lost the fish! (pulled the hook) What was that you hooked, came my response? Only a 5-6 pound Bass! What happened?????? I just thought it was a little wiper and I didn't let him eat it! I just shook my head after that!

After that we started getting catfish bites. Either a dink Catfish or a small stocker Catfish. For the next 3 hours it was really good! We were getting bites constantly and sometimes on both poles at the same time! I'm going to make this short and just give you the final count. 2 wipers, 1 lmb, 4 dink catfish and 12 stocker size catfish and we were gone by 11 am. Not bad for a mornings work. If we had some Bass gear, I'm sure we could have caught some of those things too! As I said in my previous fish report at Lake Wohlford, I'm getting spoiled and want a bigger challenge! That challenge came 3 day's later at Irvine Lake! Be sure to read my Irvine report!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 06-16-2021 at 11:13 AM.

Thanks for the report. Have not fished there for several years. Last time I was a couple of weeks late for the crappie bite. Keep the reports coming.

Quote Originally Posted by eah View Post
    Thanks for the report. Have not fished there for several years. Last time I was a couple of weeks late for the crappie bite. Keep the reports coming.
    Thanks, I've got another good report to write up! (just need some time)

Atta boy, Tuckers!

I've never fished Elsinore. I heard they use to call it Lake Smellsomemore.

How does the lake get its water?

It's the end of the line for the San Jacinto River, DS. When the water is really high, it can spill down into the Santa Ana River, but that does not happen very often.

This spot is actually not very far from where I live. I checked and google said a 38 minute drive. The people who manage Lake Elsinore say that they are trying to clean it up, and reduce the carp population, so maybe it's not so bad, but I have fished it occasionally, and Lake Smellsomemore is not that far off. LOL

Based on ETucker's description, I might like to try Launch Pointe sometime. They have 2 fishing piers and I like fishing from piers. Do you know if it's a good spot for Crappie/Bluegill?

more like hellsonorre
    there has been a major program to both improve water and fishing quality

a lot of recent stockings

and somewhat of a planned program to turn the lake back into a recreational destination

anybody ever fish the salton sea back in the 60's or 70's
    as crappy as it is now
    back then it was a worldwide draw

unreal fishing and not talking about tilapia but the best corvina fishing in the nation

so there is hope for hellsinore

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    It's the end of the line for the San Jacinto River, DS. When the water is really high, it can spill down into the Santa Ana River, but that does not happen very often.

This spot is actually not very far from where I live. I checked and google said a 38 minute drive. The people who manage Lake Elsinore say that they are trying to clean it up, and reduce the carp population, so maybe it's not so bad, but I have fished it occasionally, and Lake Smellsomemore is not that far off. LOL

Based on ETucker's description, I might like to try Launch Pointe sometime. They have 2 fishing piers and I like fishing from piers. Do you know if it's a good spot for Crappie/Bluegill?
    That's the thing about the Bluegill and Crappie. Those are the only 2 fish I don't see caught there. (for everything else, it's a great spot) The other Marina down the road years back, is where I caught decent amounts of both Crappie and Bluegill. Fortunately, I've got a brand new pipeline of information that does include Lake Elsinore. I'm going to find out where if any, are the panfish caught in there nowadays.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 06-15-2021 at 12:32 PM.

I live at Launch Pointe, I caught a ton of fish the night before and the night of tournament. As far as crappie go haven't had the luck with them. Everything else is pretty easy to catch. My problem I like to fish salt way too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post

One warning!! In the summer time there is a million jet skies racing around the piers. During the fishing tournament they the area blocked off. But any other time it's a mess with millions of beach goers. They also charge like 40 dollars just to park most days.

Quote Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
    One warning!! In the summer time there is a million jet skies racing around the piers. During the fishing tournament they the area blocked off. But any other time it's a mess with millions of beach goers. They also charge like 40 dollars just to park most days.
    Wow $40 dollars to park! In the off season, I pay $10 to park and $5 to fish.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast