Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Local spotb to teach the kids

Default Local spotb to teach the kids

Kids got rod/real combos for christmas. I haven't fished local in years. Looking for a spot to shore fish with 5 and 7 year old. Im in San Fernando valley I just want the kids to succsessfully catch a couple bluegill or similar small fish while they are learning to cast. I used to go to the cement pond at Hansen Dam but i don't remember it being plentiful with bluegilll or other small fish, just crowded after the stocking truck arrived
    Any suggestions are greatly appriciated

You have some options. These may not be the best but hopefully others will chime in. So critical with new fishers to have some success!
    Santa Ana River Lakes - I know this is a ways from you (91 and 55) and they are a "Pay to Play" facility. But they do have a "Kids and Seniors" pond. I have never fished there but know people that have and have mostly heard positive comments.
    Dan Hernandez Sportfishing - Kids Club: Dan's foundation has supported kids getting their first experience fishing (usually at Legg Lake).
    A little last minute - but coming up on the 22nd at Rancho Jurupa Park out here in Riverside is their annual "Kids Fish Free" event where they super-stock the lake on Thursday with trout and catfish and only kids are allowed to fish on Saturday from opening up until (I think) noon. You would want to be there right when they open or spend the night camping. Adults can cast, hook and hand, and net caught fish but that is it. It will be crowded but since it is a "kids only" event but usually the crowd is pretty chill (and the Rangers and Game Wardens are there as well). I believe other County and Regional Parks have similar events, so maybe you can find something closer to you. And the weather is looking pretty good at this point.

Bonelli park in pomona might be a good spot for you
    haven't fished it in years but i imagine something will be snapping
    check for stocking dates