Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northern Idaho to South Dakota

Default Northern Idaho to South Dakota

Drove through Wallace and Kellogg last night in norther Idaho. So beautiful! Water everywhere. Trees and mountains in the clouds. Picture perfect. Very low population. Wouldn’t mind living up there! That’s for sure.
    Slept on the side of a stream on the side of highway 90. Probably what amounts to one of the most beautiful highways in America. I’m on the border of Idaho and Montana right now. Never been to Montana. I did happen to bring my fly rods. Did I mention today is my birthday? My gift to myself is getting to traverse across Montana for the first time in my life.

kinda like when I gave myself Portland for Christmas, all those years ago.

Anyone have the skinny on a spot to fish between here and South Dakota?

I’m heading to SD to “America’s Mailbox” to obtain nomadic licensing and registration for the Solarized Overland rig. Tired of licensing and registration every time I move a state. Gonna set it up in SD and leave it that way.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B2C1D88A-43FC-48BD-AB0A-1DCA2B222CDA.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	53198

PSS I forgot to report that installing some new 35” KO2’s fixed the truck vibration. Feels like it’s riding on air, now.

heres the river I slept on the side of. Need to find out if it’s legal to fish. No time now. I’ll figure it out for the way back.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	78A4213C-8BA7-44E4-AFD4-726CE8DE68CC.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	53199
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 05-28-2021 at 04:45 AM.

A quick search of the river online shows it holds browns. I guess I’ll stay and fish for five minutes before I leave. Let’s see what happens. Here it goes on the St Regis River. Then into Montana!
    *slides brand new Orvis Clearwater out of tube*
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 05-28-2021 at 04:56 AM.

Took a quick skunk in the Regis.
    water was fast and clear. Didn’t want to nymph.
    went by a neat little novelty shop in Regis with a “Trout aquarium”. Bull and brown and cutthroats and all kinds of trouts in the tank. I got video for you guys for later. I’m now At Clark Fork River. It’s all blown out. Brow and fast. Don’t want to nymph again. Officially in Montana now. Need to go find a license before I fish. Last spot was in Idaho still, I was still legal At that point.

onward with the trip.. I’ll keep trying for some fin.

Stopped by gold creek just passed Missoula. All blown out and brown. Roads are drying out. Must have rained really hard here recently. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AD08D7C3-F6C8-45C1-9EF9-17FB7AA7C794.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	53200

All the rivers in Montana were blown out. Probably snow runoff or something.

made it to South Dakota. Heading to Mt Rushmore now!

giant half inch hail storm last night left a few dents In the trailer. Pretty sure all my solar panels are still working. Truck made it through OK, as surprising as that is. Seriously half inch hail balls last night in Montana.

i have two days before my appointment here. I’ll see about some fishing in South Dakota.

sorry about the typos. I’m on a phone..
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 05-29-2021 at 06:41 AM.

Picture upload isn’t working. I’ll upload the video of Rushmore later. Snuck my dog In. Then got booted after completing the hiking trail loop. Lol.

3000 people only one family of the lot was wearing masks.

No skunk for me in SD!
    picked up day license at squallmart.
    picked up a few browns and brookies at a niiice little river.
    when I got there, it was all dried up. Thought i was F’d. Went several miles up stream and it started flowing. Ended up finding a huge pool full of fly fisherman bagging fish left and right on bead heads and indicators. Nailed a few more there.
    off to go see what else I may find in South Dakota. Video later when I get back home.

i will still get plenty of time to fish on the way home as well.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 05-30-2021 at 11:03 AM.

Just received South Dakota domicile, plates reg lic everything. All in one day!
    now free to roam the country indefinitely! Woooooot! Time to go hit all the places I always wanted to. I hear Yellowstone is on the way home. ��

Quote Originally Posted by tacklejunkie View Post
    Just received South Dakota domicile, plates reg lic everything. All in one day!
    now free to roam the country indefinitely! Woooooot! Time to go hit all the places I always wanted to. I hear Yellowstone is on the way home. ��
    I fished the Madison last week below Quake Lake. I wasn't blown out. We alaso fished Henry's Fork in Idaho. The Salmon flies were out and the fishing was awesome. We did get 9 inches of snow one day.

Holy shhhhhhh

im pretty sure I just found where I’m going to retire. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40E0B767-E973-44C3-93C2-0E865FC91B27.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	53219

https://youtu.be/n8_rNWSbOoA

starting next month. I will definitely be back here for sure. 70 miles of smooth dirt boondocking roads along side a five species trout river. Holy Fn shhhhhh!!!

i have some here I have to be right now but as soon as I’m done I’m coming back to Montana. This will be better than Yellowstone by miles.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 06-03-2021 at 08:20 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast