Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ongoing report

Quote Originally Posted by LocalParksGuy View Post
    Wanted to add on to this since it has been on going.

I been wanting to check this lake out again since I last went in Feb. Took my buddy out for the first time to Puddingstone this past Saturday (06/19/2021, 7ish AM). Instead of starting near sailboat cove, I decided for the both of us to try the East Shore at the closed down pier furthest east. We fished that area for a good hour and decided to move more towards the right (facing the shore). We ended up at a point on the east shore between the broken pier and the rv camp. We didn't really see anybody catching and the bass boats weren't getting any action too. I was throwing a spinnerbait for awhile, chatterbait, texas rigged senko, and drop shot fluke. My buddy was throwing a handful of things too.

My friend finally decides to throw a new bait he bought called Chasebaits Flacid Shad. We both thought it was an odd but interesting looking bait that he saw advertised on social media. Its action is a swimbait fish swimming on its side. We were joking about quitting bass fishing if he caught anything on it. After his 4th or 5th cast into the lake he hooks a nice bass that started to fight. He reeled it in and we both weighed it at 2.8 lbs. We let it go and fished the area for another 20 minutes before the jet skiers started coming onto the lake and making huge wakes. We finally move to the final pier on the left that was still open. We fished it for a good 20 minutes until we decided we were hungry and it was getting hot by then (11 AM).

He ended up with 1 bass and I ended up skunking but I was glad he was able to get a bass first time at the lake. Funny thing was he used to go to college down the street at Poly Pomona but never fished at all at the lake until now.
    Sounds like you were headed north, towards the boating area (right while facing shore would be south). There's a lot of tall grass that you have to walk through if you want to get to the water there, but there is a huge rocky drop off there. That's where I caught my PB: a whopping bass, likely 9+ pounds, on a drop shot with a cut down margarita mutilator 4.5 inch worm. I've never gone back there because there's honestly so much grass that while walking through it I knew it was a bad idea and I was just begging for a rattlesnake to get me, especially in the summer.

22JUN2021

Once again at Puddingstone, line in the water at about 7:00 PM. Clear day, and hot. The water was warm and relatively clear (4+ ft visibility). I started at the south cove, moving towards the east side. I was out past 8:30 PM. For anyone wondering, this is the lake: Puddingstone Lake

I walked and casted as much as I could, throwing a hula popper first, and a Texas rig trick worm, then a weightless stick bait along with the drop shot. I didn't catch a single thing.

There was a bass cruising the tall dock, driving all of the pier anglers crazy. I skipped a stick bait under the docks (sneakily) and got nothing. Some people caught some bluegill. And some dude was walking the south cove after sunset, vigorously swiping a net in the water, and placing his little swimmers in a bucket. I don't really know what that was about, and no way that I would risk getting shot, but when I moved closer, he packed up and ran off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210622_200107.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	53270  
    Last edited by MRVRSICK; 07-02-2021 at 12:59 PM. Reason: add picture

23JUN2021

As always, at Puddingstone, line in the water at about 6:00 PM. I think this was the day that was cloudy and had even sprinkled a little, though it was a very hot day. The water was warm and cloudy (3-5+ ft visibility). I started at sailboat cove, moving towards the lifeguard shack and past it, towards the dam. I was out past 8:30 PM. For anyone wondering, this is the lake: https://usa.fishermap.org/depth-map/...-reservoir-ca/

I didn't spend much time in sailboat, there were some people there that were throwing things in the water, though they actually had fishing lines in. I moved to the left of the lifeguard shack, throwing into what I found out was a rock pile or something. I mainly tossed the Texas rig trick worm (which was later changed to a beaver then a creature), the weightless stick bait, and the drop shot. A little bit later, I tied on a kicking type frog as there was some vegetation that I was fishing near and had a bass blow up a stick bait on as I was reeling it back fast right on top of it. The frog was the only bite I got, but the hook was a little small and I didn't get a good hookset on it. One bite, one chance. No fish in the hand.

I found out that there was a rock pile because I was constantly getting stuck in it. I lost my brand new worm on the t-rig, found a rig (pictured), and then subsequently lost a jig and the weight I found on the drop shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210623_183714.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	53271  

24JUN2021

This one is going to be a short one.

I have been wanting to go to different bodies of water because I don't do very well at puddingstone, even though I live so close by. I just cant put together a pattern, and I generally only fish a few hours.

So I try to go to a body of water that I've caught fish in before: San Dimas Reservoir.

It's freaking dry. Bummer.

I get back and decide to do some things that I've been meaning to do. First on the list is go to C&M tackle in San Dimas. I get there just before opening and just organize my tackle bag a bit. The lady that's working there is super nice, and I chat with her about how her business is actually doing very very well. She doesn't have what I'm looking for (a Kigan XLA hook keeper), but I actually buy some very nicely priced Fuji ez-keepers.

The other thing on my list was cycling related, but the shop opened late.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210624_090145 (2).jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	53272

26JUN2021

After such a disappointing previous outing to a dry reservoir, I tried again looking for another body of water to fish. I headed out early and got to this reservoir: https://usa.fishermap.org/depth-map/...-reservoir-ca/

It was pretty much completely dry (see picture). You can't really tell very well, but it is freaking deep, and it's a good hike to get to the highwater mark, let alone the extra way down to actual water. There were a lot of fish in there, I was able to pull out my binoculars out and watch the cruising carp (very big) and bass (also big). A lot op blow ups on the water.

I headed back down and went to Peck Road Water Conservation Park: Peck Road Park (https://parks.lacounty.gov/peck-road...ervation-park/)

It was starting to get a little later in the morning, but I headed out to the water anyway. pretty much headed towards the water as soon as I could from the parking lot, and second cast in, I get a bite. Good fish, as it's pulling line so hard that I actually had to adjust drag and really muscle the rod. She's a good one, between 4.5-5 pounds (pictured), caught on the weightless stick bait. I continue to fish the same area, as it's shaded and while I'm in the sun, I can feel my feet actually burning up in the heat (car read 95 on the drive home) and blazing sun. I catch 5 total, 2 more on the stick bait (1.5-2ish pounds), a couple of runts on the trick worm(<1 pound). No bites on the creature or beaver, only strikes on drop shot, and a lot of strikes and actual carries at the curly tail worm (small enough that they couldn't swallow the worm and get to the hook). Nothing on the popper or the fluke.

I picked up a ton of trash and tried to deal with some line twist on the crank/fluke setup (to no avail). The juvenile bass (probably the ones I caught earlier) went cruising around and were causing a ruckus, and that's about the time I headed out.

Name:	20210626_081635.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	53273

Name:	20210626_093147.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	53274

Nice fish from the PP.

Sucks to see SG so low. I've wanted to make a run up there to fish it, but I have no idea where to even access the shore from.

7/09/2021

Decided to hit pudd this morning on my day off. Got to the park and started fishing at 6:30 AM. Started at Sailboat Cove and started fishing the loading and unloading ramp. I had a spook on my baitcaster and a spinnerbait on my spinning rod. No luck at the ramp but a guy there said he caught 3 the day before there and 1 before I came.

I headed towards the lifeguard dock and started fishing the right side of it, but got no bites. I then decided to fish the left side of it due to the sun coming up and getting very hot already at 7:30 AM... The left side of the dock was a little annoying to fish due to the loud generator running the dock's power. I head down the shore more and away from the dock and started fishing a bit under the shade. No bites there at all but saw some close splashes near shore. I was getting worried I might skunk so I switched lures on my rods. Switched to the chatterbait on my baitcaster and a senko weightless texas rigged on my spinning rod.

I decided to make my way back along the shore, fishing the left side of the dock then the right. After throwing the chatterbait for awhile. I decided to throw the senko right of the dock. After a few cast I felt a bite. I set the hook and felt it fight a bit then the line went slack with no pressure on the rod. For a couple seconds I thought I set the hook bad and the fish got off but then it started fighting again. I guess the bass was swimming towards me when I didn't feel it for the couple of seconds. When it started fighting, it gave a good fight with lots of head shakes. It was pulling my rod and I had to set the drag loose (Was using very old and frayed 8lb flourocarbon line). I finally got it to shore and weighed it at 3.25 lbs. I released it soon after.

Afterwards, I fished the shore until I made it back to the loading/unloading ramp at sailboat cove. By then it was a little past 9 AM and I decided to call it a day. It was already getting too hot for me. Might hit up El Dorado Park in the AM tomorrow if I can wake up in time to beat the heat.
    Last edited by LocalParksGuy; 07-09-2021 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Additional Info

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123