Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Henshaw 5/14/21

Default Henshaw 5/14/21

Headed over to Henshaw on Friday. Plan was Thursday, but job said Friday. Anyways, got there right before opening. Decided to rent a boat. Usually, I just walk around to the dam and to the rock piles, but I was with my cousin and he was passionate about the cheap boat rental prices. Ran into etucker on the boat dock and found out he also likes to put many miles on his car for fish. Off to the fishing. Stopped along to rocky shoreline to get situated and fish the rocks. Got a couple dink bass and one bigger bass(cousins fish) shook off at the boat. Start running a jig along the rocks with the 1.75 fin-s-shad. Managed 2 bites but no fish. Cant confirm if they were bluegill tugging on the jig or crappie. Never really saw the fish. Headed over to the boulders and 3 or 4 guys were there fishing with minnows. I saw them land 3 crappies when was within sight but cant confirm how good/fast/slow that bite was. I landed one crappie off a diamond mist garland swimr and actually missed a nice bite. Line took off left, I pulled and to my surprise ZERO TENSION... WTF. Got back in the boat and hit some trees for a few minutes. Nothing happening. Start heading off the water around 12:30- 12:45-ish to get back to town.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Henshaw 5.14.21.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	53193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Henshaw crappie 5.14.21.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	53194

Quote Originally Posted by Dores34 View Post
    Headed over to Henshaw on Friday. Plan was Thursday, but job said Friday. Anyways, got there right before opening. Decided to rent a boat. Usually, I just walk around to the dam and to the rock piles, but I was with my cousin and he was passionate about the cheap boat rental prices. Ran into etucker on the boat dock and found out he also likes to put many miles on his car for fish. Off to the fishing. Stopped along to rocky shoreline to get situated and fish the rocks. Got a couple dink bass and one bigger bass(cousins fish) shook off at the boat. Start running a jig along the rocks with the 1.75 fin-s-shad. Managed 2 bites but no fish. Cant confirm if they were bluegill tugging on the jig or crappie. Never really saw the fish. Headed over to the boulders and 3 or 4 guys were there fishing with minnows. I saw them land 3 crappies when was within sight but cant confirm how good/fast/slow that bite was. I landed one crappie off a diamond mist garland swimr and actually missed a nice bite. Line took off left, I pulled and to my surprise ZERO TENSION... WTF. Got back in the boat and hit some trees for a few minutes. Nothing happening. Start heading off the water around 12:30- 12:45-ish to get back to town.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Henshaw 5.14.21.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	53193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Henshaw crappie 5.14.21.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	53194
    It was you! Lol As I said on the boat dock, "they want those Damn Minnows!" I saw where you guy's fished and you hit all the right spots! We only got the one bite on the end where those other guy's were fishing. But the other end of the face of that area was were it was happening! I believe you guy's hit the Lucky Bush spot too, which is the trees almost to the end in the corner. Sorry you guy's didn't get more action, "but it's all in the Minnows!" Lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 05-17-2021 at 02:31 PM.

Yeah, I seen first hand that minnows were on the menu, I shoulda just drove around and picked some up. I realize later that i never even threw a pearl white jig with meal worm or nibblets which is what i've caught most of the fish with out of that lake. Dont know if it would of mattered tho. I really don't mind the attempts and cast AT ALL. Ive have ways worst days.. and waaay better. Truth be told. I've NEVER limited on crappie with minnows in ANY CA lake. But if I go there again this year, i'll make that drive. 2 or 3 years ago I was there and watched guys pull them out right in front of me before with them. Still like that lake tho.

This is an interesting post. Thank you for sharing this here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dores34 View Post
    Yeah, I seen first hand that minnows were on the menu, I shoulda just drove around and picked some up. I realize later that i never even threw a pearl white jig with meal worm or nibblets which is what i've caught most of the fish with out of that lake. Dont know if it would of mattered tho. I really don't mind the attempts and cast AT ALL. Ive have ways worst days.. and waaay better. Truth be told. I've NEVER limited on crappie with minnows in ANY CA lake. But if I go there again this year, i'll make that drive. 2 or 3 years ago I was there and watched guys pull them out right in front of me before with them. Still like that lake tho.
    I like the lake too! You know what's funny about the Minnow bites? They don't bite them like a Bass would. What I mean by that is, a Bass will hit it quickly once you thrown them into the spot. A lot of times the bobber is just bobbing along for 5 minutes or more in the same spot. (Then a Crappie bites it!) Plus you got to let them pull down the bobber for 20 seconds before you even swing to set the hook!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 05-18-2021 at 09:13 AM.