Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swimming with the donkeys

Default Swimming with the donkeys

Oops I did it again
    this time I fell in
    the fish gave me the fin
    but im not that innocent!

Holy jeebus I pulled up to the same spot I caught my last steelhead today. Moon was up during day, storm coming tomorrow. It was pretty much written in stone. Fifteen casts in i get SMASHED on the blue fox #4 copper vibrax. Lifted the rod tip to seal the deal. Felt the had shakes. It was on! Took me about 8 minutes to land this 7-8lb beast. Every time I got him up, he went back down. Thought my rod was going to break in half. Unreal! Fish ended up pulling me into the drink with it. Got half soaked! Pepper was laughing at me.
    mended up coming unbuttoned after pepper and I both got to just barely touch it once. And just like that. It was gone.

I got video of my endorphin rush.
    see you guys back out on the WILSON tomorrow!

I’m outside Ling Lings right now and they’re closed. More than half the time I come here they are closed! I need like $100 in custom tackle but all I can do is look at it through the window! Dood I don’t know what’s the deal with these guys. But sometimes they are here when they say they will be, sometimes not! More often, not! Dang it.

too bad I don’t have a phone camera I’d snap a pic through the window lol
    i need that HIGH QUALITY tackle, my friends!

Managed to test the FTM-400XDR ham radio in the middle of the woods last night as well. Was making contacts no problem while outside of cellphone reception.

good times. If anyone is out there reading this, meet me on the Wilson tomorrow!

This is an interesting thread, had fun reading this.

Hahah. I’m definitely an interesting cat. The day that I’m normal will be the day that I’m dead!
    I see daylight. Just woke up in my trailer in the woods. Time to slap on my waders and get down to the river.
    love ya’ll. TJ and Pepper, Clear!
    what I mean by the moon was up during the day and a storm was coming in the next day is I’ve cut all my big fish when the moon was up during the daytime. I and usually when a front is coming in it can push the fish to feed before the storm comes through.sorry about the typos. On my phone in the middle of the woods!
    to get cell reception I have to do the Indian rain dance and stand on my hands.

Pss I caught a trout yesterday also after writing this report from Wilson.
    I’ll make a video when I get home. Some important things to show.

Yes, please. A video will be great to see. Sounds like you had a lot of fun.

Got skunked day two! That’s the normal Wilson River I know lol.

My dog had a vet appointment scheduled for a wart removal on her foot but she has been biting at the wart and it got swollen during the trip so I brought her home early.

managed to stop myself from spending $1000 on a High Frequency base station transceiver at the radio store in Portland on my way out. I’m slowly slowly starting to get older. Right eye can’t see as good.

my truck developed a gnarly vibration on the way home. Either need a balance or something is loose/wrong/out of adjustment. I think I’m going to go try and have the worn rubber balanced and see if that helps. If not, I’ll try new rubber. If that don’t work, I’ll sell it. Lol. I get weird stomach pains from my kidney disease. I can’t be vibrating all over the country. Hurts my stomach.. very uncomfortable. :p

TBC!

not much on the video. All you see is me soaking wet for a half second before the camera cuts off. Damn gopros are worthless, I tell ya.

It was pretty much the same fish as last time but a little larger. He was splashing the steep rocks at the shore and pepper was trying to eat him. The wet steep rocks caused me to slip in. I was hanging on one hand like cliffhanger over a 20 foot deep pool of freezing cold crystal clear Oregon coastal runoff water. Saw my watery grave flash before my eyes. Ya led myself out the hole and continued to fight the fish, having been inches from going for a swim in a deep hole in my waders lol.

wild times. Need to go patch up my truck and my dog. I was so PO’s driving home for six hours with a vibration that I’m still recovering and hiding in bed lol.

don’t let off till you see god.

maybe I’ll post one or two of the unedited clips when I get time.
    I brought home a super duty truck bed full of trash from the forest with me, as well. That’s the secret to catching big fish so often like the big ballers. Do the best to your knowledge to respect the fishes and clean up the environment we all share. The fish will teach you the rest.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 05-04-2021 at 12:37 PM.

One more interesting note.
    I can’t find a chrome steelhead with a clipped fin to take home and eat.
    That is honestly what I’m trying to do, for once. Since food is so expensive and fish is one of the better proteins encouraged for my ailments.
    but I’ve caught (and subsequently released) only wild steelhead over the last year or two. Wild steelhead are illegal to take in the North West Coastal Zone of Oregon.

the Salmon I catch from the same water are also wild/unclipped/fully-colored.
    kinda makes me feel guilty to fish them! i don’t mean to rape the wild population.

I’ll have to do more studying on how to better locate clipped fin chrome. I’ve figured out how to find ancient wilds that are mostly likely best left alone to breed in the river.

Additional redacted information:

I went to Walmart in Oregon and asked for an out of state license win my new Idaho ID.
    she looked me up in the system and saw my old Oregon annual license with all the tickets and steelhead report cards etc.
    they told me I can’t buy an out of state license. Just keep using my Oregon license until the end of the year. With my Idaho ID.

not sure if she is right or if I would have got a ticket. But, I tried.

kinda like how in Idaho they won’t title my trailer but they will plate it. So anyone can sell the thing on a bill of sale alone but it’s registered to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast