Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RVing spots

Quote Originally Posted by FISHISH View Post
    hot Mini jig rig? What's that? Also, how do you troll? minnows aren't allowed, right? How do you decide between trolling and mini jigging?
    No Minnows! How to troll for Crappie, crash course 101! You do know all the Crappie snobs are saying, "don't just tell him" make him figure it out over 20 years of trial and error! lol You know what would probably be very helpful is, if you were to buy a map of Lake Cachuma! They make one of those really good for about $8 bucks! You can buy them at your better tackle stores. Or just go to Bob's tackle in Norwalk. (he has them for sure) It will show you where Jack Rabbit Island is! Don't be afraid to watch other people when they troll for Crappies. (notice their trolling pattern and copy it) If you really want to cheat, find the pretty Bass boat that guide there. (watch what he does) Remember they almost have a zero tolerance for private boats there! So any private boats on the lake are going to be run by people who know what their doing!

How to troll for Crappies for Dummy's.

Use either 4-6 pound test. (if your worried about losing too many lures, use 6 pound) You do know what to do if you get a snag right? Go behind it and pull! Now you need 2 kinds of lures. Deep divers on their own, like Flicka shads that you can purchase at Walmart cheap! Or small sinking minnow lures like Rapalas or Lucky craft lures if your wallet is fat! Rapalas are priced in the middle. Walmart Flicka shads are $3.99 and Lucky craft lures are $12.99. Bob's tackle does have good small trolling minnow lures for sale. I like the colors of Black or Blue for trolling for Crappies!

How to troll for them.

Slow as the motor can go is the correct speed. We got 15 bites using their boats with their motors, so I know they go slow enough to troll. Where and how to troll them. Remember the closer you are to shore the shallower you are, so the Flicka shads don't need any weight pretty close to the bank. The further you get off the bank in open water, you need weight on your lines to get the lures down to the Crappies. Racer X figured a simple way to do that. Buy 3/8 ounce rubber core sinkers and put them 3 1/3 feet up from lure. Let a fair amount of line out and you're good to go in deeper water when trolling. That's all you need to know besides finding a good trolling pattern. The guides used a rectangle pattern from the shore opposite of the North tip of Rabbit Island. They went down that shore past the point and cut over to the other shore on the opposite bank. Ran down it back to Jack Rabbit Island and cut back across and repeated the pattern. I did a circle you know what? I went down a 1/4 of the way down the face of Jack Rabbit Island and did circles in the deep water. We started hooking so many Crappies the guide boat and friends came into our pattern!

Now if their no longer in the deeper water, you are going to have to Mini Jig them up. Once again take your map out and have the nice people at the boat rental mark on your map, where to start looking for them! Here is the best Crappie Jig I found and it's only sold at Fishermen s Access in Brea. It's called Collin's Micro Minnows. You want the solid white glow in the dark color. The Minnows and the jig heads are sold separately, but they have them both there. Have Jake who works there rig them up for you. You also want to put a white Crappie Niblet on there with a large Meal worm too! Fish it on 2 pound test and if you find a school of them, you won't be able to keep them off of your hooks! Good Luck and the rest is up to you to find them!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 04-25-2021 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    No Minnows! How to troll for Crappie, crash course 101! You do know all the Crappie snobs are saying, "don't just tell him" make him figure it out over 20 years of trial and error! lol You know what would probably be very helpful is, if you buy a map! They make one of those really good for for about $8 bucks! You can buy them at your better tackle stores. Or just go to Bob's tackle in Norwalk. (he has them for sure) It will show you where Jack Rabbit Island is! Don't be afraid to watch other people when they troll for Crappies. (notice their trolling pattern and copy it) If you really want to cheat, find the pretty Bass boat that the guide uses! (watch what he does) Remember they almost have a zero tolerance for private boats there! So any private boats on the lake are going to be run by people who know what their doing!

Use either 4-6 pound test. (if your worried about losing too many lures, use 6 pound) You do know what to do if you get a snag right? Go behind it and pull! Now you need 2 kinds of lures. Deep divers on their own, like Flicka shads that you can purchase at Walmart cheap! Or small sinking minnow lures like Rapalas or Lucky craft lures if your wallet is fat! Rapalas are priced in the middle. Walmart Flicka shads are $3.99 and Lucky craft lures are $12.99. Bob's tackle does have good small trolling minnow lures for sale. I like the colors of Black or Blue for trolling for Crappies!

How to troll them.

Slow as the motor can go is the correct speed. We got 15 bites with their motors, so I know they go slow enough to troll. Where and how to troll them. Remember the closer you are to shore your shallower, so the Flicka shads don't need any weight pretty close to the bank. The further you get off the bank in open water, you need weight. Racer X figured a simple way to do this one. Buy 3/8 ounce rubber core sinkers and put them 3 1/3 feet up from lure. Let a fair amount of line out and you're good to go in deeper water when trolling. That's all you need to know besides finding a good trolling pattern. The guides used a rectangle from the shore opposite of the North tip of Rabbit Island. They went down that shore past the point and cut over to the other shore on the opposite bank. Ran down it to Jack Rabbit Island and cut back across and repeated the pattern. I did a circle you know what? I went down a 1/4 of the way down the face of Jack Rabbit Island and did circles in the deep water. We started hooking so many Crappies the guide boat and friends came into our pattern!
    Thank you so much! I am worried about line twists though, I sorta tried to troll at Lopez, but I got severe line twists. Also, assuming you rented a boat, which one did you get? And do you use ultra-light rods?
    Last edited by FISHISH; 04-24-2021 at 05:41 PM.

Thank you so much! I am worried about line twists though, I sorta tried to troll at Lopez, but I got severe line twists. Also, assuming you rented a boat, which one did you get? And do you use ultra-light rods?
    The Minnow lures should not twist your line. Trout lures that wobble are the notorious line twisters, so you should be okay. We got the next bigger boat up from the bottom. It's nice and big and should handle 3 or more people easily! Don't be afraid to talk to your neighboring campers! One of them might know exactly where the fish are and you could just follow them!

No Minnows! How to troll for Crappie, crash course 101! You do know all the Crappie snobs are saying, "don't just tell him" make him figure it out over 20 years of trial and error! lol You know what would probably be very helpful is, if you were to buy a map of Lake Cachuma! They make one of those really good for about $8 bucks! You can buy them at your better tackle stores. Or just go to Bob's tackle in Norwalk. (he has them for sure) It will show you where Jack Rabbit Island is! Don't be afraid to watch other people when they troll for Crappies. (notice their trolling pattern and copy it) If you really want to cheat, find the pretty Bass boat that guide there. (watch what he does) Remember they almost have a zero tolerance for private boats there! So any private boats on the lake are going to be run by people who know what their doing!

How to troll for them.

Slow as the motor can go is the correct speed. We got 15 bites using their boats with their motors, so I know they go slow enough to troll. Where and how to troll them. Remember the closer you are to shore the shallower you are, so the Flicka shads don't need any weight pretty close to the bank. The further you get off the bank in open water, you need weight on your lines to get the lures down to the Crappies. Racer X figured a simple way to do that. Buy 3/8 ounce rubber core sinkers and put them 3 1/3 feet up from lure. Let a fair amount of line out and you're good to go in deeper water when trolling. That's all you need to know besides finding a good trolling pattern. The guides used a rectangle pattern from the shore opposite of the North tip of Rabbit Island. They went down that shore past the point and cut over to the other shore on the opposite bank. Ran down it back to Jack Rabbit Island and cut back across and repeated the pattern. I did a circle you know what? I went down a 1/4 of the way down the face of Jack Rabbit Island and did circles in the deep water. We started hooking so many Crappies the guide boat and friends came into our pattern!

Now if their no longer in the deeper water, you are going to have to Mini Jig them up. Once again take your map out and have the nice people at the boat rental mark on your map, where to start looking for them! Here is the best Crappie Jig I found and it's only sold at Fishermen s Access in Brea. It's called Collin's Micro Minnows. You want the solid white glow in the dark color. The Minnows and the jig heads are sold separately, but they have them both there. Have Jake who works there rig them up for you. You also want to put a white Crappie Niblet on there with a large Meal worm too! Fish it on 2 pound test and if you find a school of them, you won't be able to keep them off of your hooks! Good Luck and the rest is up to you to find them!
    Do you mean flicker shad?

Do you mean flicker shad?
    That sounds about right. They have a big bill and they usually come in 2 colors. (Black and a green fire tiger color) If they look like that, that's probably them! Lol

That sounds about right. They have a big bill and they usually come in 2 colors. (Black and a green fire tiger color) If they look like that, that's probably them! Lol
    Here's a picture I found on the Walmart online storeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	FlickerShad.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	53178Click image for larger version. 

ID:	53178

I was also going to ask the same thing. What's a Mini jig rig?

Here's a picture I found on the Walmart online storeClick image for larger version. 

ID:	53178Click image for larger version. 

ID:	53178
    That's them, Buuuuttttt the price?????? I bought some for $3.99, so I don't know what to tell you about that price. For that price, I would get the small Lucky Craft Minnows at Bob's Tackle in Norwalk. The Flicka shads are a maybe bait, but the Lucky crafts Minnows are a for sure baits!

Quote Originally Posted by Althea Hamby View Post
    I was also going to ask the same thing. What's a Mini jig rig?
    A Mini jig rig is any plastic small tube lure on a leadhead. You should put a Crappie Niblet on it and a large meal worm. Usually fished from shore under a bobber, but in a boat usually no bobber. The choice on the tube is tremendous, but everyone usually has their favorites.

That's them, Buuuuttttt the price?????? I bought some for $3.99, so I don't know what to tell you about that price. For that price, I would get the small Lucky Craft Minnows at Bob's Tackle in Norwalk. The Flicka shads are a maybe bait, but the Lucky crafts Minnows are a for sure baits!
    Lol the reason why I had to run it through you is the price! You said they were 4 bucks but the website said they were 13! Might as well get some Lucky craft minnows.
    Last edited by FISHISH; 04-29-2021 at 09:21 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast